Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“BANG BANG BANG!” someone was knocking at our door. Just as I managed sit up Effie came barging in. I shook Gale till he woke up.  “Wake up! Wake up! You’re going to be late! Hurry and get dressed then come straight to the dining room. Gale here’s some clothes.” Effie said really quickly. She chucked some clothes on the bed. “And Katniss, your clothes are in the wardrobe.” With that she walked out. Gale got out of bed. I only just realised he was only wearing underwear. I quickly chucked him some pants, and then kicked him out. “I’ll meet you in the dining room.” He walked away. I closed the door and went over to the wardrobe. There were so many clothes! I chose out a simple black t-shirt, cargo green pants and put my hair back in my simple braid, then ran down to the dining room. Haymitch, Effie and Gale were already there. Haymitch was eating some scones and talking to Effie about sponsors or something like that. Gale was eating a bowl of cereal. Effie was the first to realise I was there. “Ahhh Katniss, good morning. Now hurry up and eat we’re going to be in the Capitol soon. Gale smiled at me. Haymitch didn’t even acknowledge that I was there. I sat down next to Gale and ate a bowl of cereal. Haymitch and Effie continued their convocation. Gale and I ate in silence.

 All of a sudden we were surrounded by screaming, shouting and cheering. “We’re arriving.” Effie said excitedly. I looked at Gale, he looked stiff….almost scared. No. Gale wouldn’t be scared. “Now, remember, making friends is the most important part of this game. Sponsors could save your life. So go out there and make some friends. The both of you!” said Haymitch, and then he just walked away. The problem was, I was never really good at making people like me, neither was Gale. This could be a problem. But Gale was definitely more likeable then me, and he has the looks to. He was definitely very attractive. He can make people like him. But me, I can’t. I’m not pretty or nice or have anything special about me. I was just me. Plain old Katniss Everdeen.  A  16 year old girl from district 12 whose little 12 year old sister was  chosen in the reaping, so I volunteered for her. I guess that sounds okay. Like that makes me seem less heartless…I guess. Most people just say that family love only goes so far, and The Hunger Games are its limit. If a family member was chosen, you just say goodbye to them, and well, obviously you’re sad, but hardly ever do you get a volunteer ever, unless it’s from a career and that’s only in the higher districts. “Katniss” Gale’s soft voice broke me out of my thoughts, I looked up at him. “It’s time to go.” I sighed and followed after him getting closer and closer to the screaming, cheering and shouting. I was scared, I really was. I guess Gale sensed it. He gave me a reassuring look and grabbed my hand. I remembered Haymitch’s words and started smiling and waving, trying to make a good impression. I don’t know if it was working or not. But I’m trying and that’s better than nothing.