Chapter 1: Cursed

Royals could really throw a party. The entire kingdom of New Domino was probably here. My friends, along with my family members, scurried back and forth from the ballroom to the kitchens. One of the dukes was throwing a party to reign in the New Year, as usual. They traded off on hosting the event.

Dad had jumped at the opportunity to cater dessert for such a prominent official. A more well-known employer? Bigger bucks. He'd also given me a wink after the deal was officiated, more money for a certain someone's birthday, eh? Of course, I had to help out too. How could I say no?

"Man, these royals can eat," Crow sighed. He left an empty platter to be filled with more pastries. While he waited, he stretched and cracked his neck and spine.

Jack did the same, and swiped the next tray refilled with food just as I approached. "Don't get me started, mate. Just think of the extra cash."

"Yeah, cuz that'll make my feet hurt less."

"Just another couple hours and we're done," I reminded them.

"Well, we'll be done for the night," Crow corrected. He was right. As the bird-master, and Jack as a page in training, they didn't have cleanup duty.

I did. "Another all nighter is fine. Dad will let me sleep in tomorrow," I said casually. I didn't want them feeling bad. "No need to keep me company."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, rest your aching feet."

"Thank you," Jack sighed. Knowing he'd be free sooner rather than later seemed to have put an extra spring in his step.

"Thanks, Lise," Crow smiled softly at me. "I've gotta get back to the Aviary. We've been losing so many birds lately." Crow didn't say so, but I knew he was worried. As the bird master, he knew it was strange to have so many birds suddenly go missing.

Jack lowered his voice. "You think the missing birds might have something to do with the missing girls?"

"Hey, you three, less talking, more serving," Dad snapped at us. He sounded strict, but there was a twinkle in his light blue eyes. He manned the oven with a strong, confident hand, and had his long hair tied back and away from the flames.

"You got it, Dad."

The rest of the night dragged on mostly uneventfully. Course there were the occasional instances of a drunken royal, wizard, or witch. The King and Queen, looking gorgeous as always, were politely detached in their greetings and conversation. Queen Haruna always seemed to have a kindness to her, like the sweet twinkle in her eyes that my dad had too. King Ryu... he seemed more withdrawn, and had been for as long as I could remember seeing him. He was always whispering or chatting with his wizard in low tones. Their only child, the crown prince, seemed to be barely concealing his boredom. At least from what I could tell zipping in between tables. He resembled his father closely with their jet-black hair and dark eyes. I avoided them mostly because of the wizard, or warlock, I could never tell the difference, always gave me creepy vibes. And the King was never without him.

I was headed back to the kitchens near the end of the party when I was stopped by a guest.

"Pardon me, sir," I apologized, and then realized who I had nearly collided with. The King's wizard.

Up close I could see the rich, deep purple robes he wore. The lining was done in silver thread that glittered when he moved. His long gray hair was pulled back into a half ponytail.

"No need for pleasantries, child," he smiled, revealing sharp teeth.

Something didn't sit right with me. My stomach rolled uncomfortably, and it felt like a rock had suddenly clogged my throat. His smile didn't reach his steel gray eyes. I nodded to him respectfully, trying to skirt around him. "Then I'd like to be on my way, please."