Chapter 3

Narrator POV-

"The moment I saw her, a part of me walked out of my body and wrapped itself around her. And there it still remains."

-Arundhati Roy

METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART - 11:58 PM 

"Can I help you?"

Both girls paused intently, the question floating in the air... and for the first time in years, it seemed that a cat held Lyla's tongue.

Yet they didn't mind the silence, just basking in each other's presence. Lucia was starstruck, as even though the masks blinded both parties, she felt her own mind pleading for her to stay within the moment of the Italian woman.

As Lyla just raked her eyes over the brunette in front of her, a tension seeming to awaken from the dead.

But just as Lyla had gained her composure, a voice had shaken through the speakers of the museum, " I do believe since it is a ball, it is only appropriate for a single waltz?" A deep masculine voice interrupted a raspy chuckle airing after.

But as Lucia spotted Alejo in her peripheral, she lifted her dress and with one last glance of the entranced woman, walked towards her soon-to-be-husband.

A paused and shallow Lyla waited in the hallway, staring at the place the young woman once stood, now empty with nothing but a sculpture of a man who definitely had more game than her.
'Shit'

She gained her composure, aware of her moment of weakness, and began walking out of the dimly lit hallway and towards the main room, where hundreds of people held each other close staring at one another as if they knew what was under the mask.

But just as Lyla was about to reach her table, her hand was pulled into the crowd of people.
Reaching through the slit of her dress, she pulled a knife, all-black plated with gold linings, made for the deadliest and nastiest murderings, yet with such an elegant view.

Pointing the knife directly at the man's upper abdomen, it scraped against his jet black tuxedo as he chuckled.
A chuckle that Lyla recognized immediately, rolling her eyes, she placed the knife back in her inner thigh.

How it hasn't cut her yet?

I don't know, don't ask me...I'm just narrating...

"Angelo, che ci fai qui?!" The black-haired woman whispered harshly, beginning to engage in a waltz with her underboss.

"Relax Satan," Angelo laughed once again, his head falling back lightly before he continued "Non mi avevi detto che saresti stato qui, quindi ho pensato di venire di stesso." 

(You didn't tell me you'd be here, so I thought I'd come myself.)

"So you come to one of the largest events of the year?" He nodded, "On your own?" He nodded again, "Without informing me?" He nodded once again, she was fuming, but at the moment Lyla was happy for the company, knowing if she had to sit down in the corner of the room once again she would nearly drink herself to poverty.