Chapter 14

By the time of the new year a few days later, the Shifters were settling in well at the castle. There were some issues with more prejudiced members of the castle and city not taking to the "beasts" being a part of daily life, but for the most part things went smoothly. The Shifters did seem to make a point of avoiding the holiday bustle as best they could, however.

"It isn't our day of celebration," Dragon explained when Wildas invited the Shifters to participate in the celebrations. "I do not wish to... decline your request, but perhaps it is best if we leave it to your people."

Wildas nodded. "I understand. If you change your mind, though, you're welcome to join us."

Dragon dipped his head. "Thank you."

Wildas still insisted on leaving a gift of preserved foods for the Shifter camp before riding out with the court to parade through the city. Well, most of them were riding. Anil had relented to riding in the carriage with Myri. They would be the ones passing out the gifts to the poor as they wound through Ryal. It was tradition to give out gloves, socks, blankets, and preserved food to help the poor survive the rest of the winter. All were items produced or collected by people within the castle or Upper Ryal with this day in mind.

"I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this holiday," Coulta commented as they waited for the rest of the parade to assemble.

"It's the day when the first king, Trayrayl, was officially recognized as our ruler," Wildas explained. He adjusted his cloak and added, "At least, according to tradition. The scholars have doubts about the date, but that doesn't matter when it's time for a celebration."

It was mid afternoon by the time the parade made its way back to the castle. Anil and Myri had made certain to distribute every pair of gloves and socks, and every blanket and bit of food loaded onto the carriage. It had started to snow lightly while they rode on, and by the time they re-entered the castle, everyone was mildly chilled.

Wildas shed his heavy cloak in the entrance hall and exchanged his heavy coat for a somewhat lighter one that Star provided. Once the rest of the court was similarly changed, they proceeded to the Throne Room. There Wildas, with the help of his siblings and a few aunts and uncles, adorned the Grand King's and Second King's thrones in wreaths, colorful scarves, and silk flowers. The thrones of the Queens were ignored, paying respect to the first king and his only spouse, whose thrones survived war and change and, with only minor maintenance, still appeared almost newly built. Wildas and his spouses then seated themselves before the thrones on the smaller ones that had been used outside during the tournament to select the new members of the Guard.

The rest of the court and castle tenants, including the guests from Algoma, took seats among the benches that had been pushed to the sides of the hall for the celebration. Brother Pelles led a series of prayers in honor of years long past, the current celebration, and to ask for blessings in the new year to come. Once the prayers ended, servants brought out trays of meats, dried fruits, and sweets, and great serving bowls of wines and juices to set on the tables that had been arranged within the hall. The royal family and honored guests were personally served first, then everyone else went to the tables to serve themselves.

Wildas listened to the conversations around him as he ate. For once it seemed the threat of war didn't hang too heavily over everyone. There was some speculation about how many of those in attendance would survive the coming year, but that was a common line of thought for the holiday. No one could ever know for certain when disease or harsh weather would take a toll on the country. War was only hinted at from time to time. It seemed most kept to the thought that speaking openly of the threat on such an occasion would bring it down all the quicker upon them.