Chapter Eleven

Pharell's P.O.V

With arms clasped behind my back, I pad down corridors, Dario strutting right next to me. After a night out sprinting in the woods, hunting antelope this time round, I feel rejuvenated. The adrenaline actively pumping through my venations, the thrill of a late night kill, has all my senses heightened a tad bit.

We finally reach the vast fields, allowing me the view of brethren training. It's only on instinct, that each man, each woman takes notice of my presence, and momentarily, their heads nod in my direction, bodies bowing curtly.

I keep mumm, as each resumes from where they left off, punching, sword fighting, kicking, or simply lifting and lowering tungsten metal. This is a compulsory activity; training keeps them on their toes, and on the basis of how glorious they move, with such fluidity, such mastered grace, they seem to ravish time spent in these fields.

"Sire, I needed to speak with you on a matter that plunges my peace," Dario's voice infiltrates my ears, picks my interest, and I simply maintain my silence, awaiting him to make sense of his statement.
"Rogue wolves, ones that have broken all ties with their alpha, made attempts to infiltrate our defense fort."

"On who's account?"
"We managed to get to the one who'd not been badly injured by the wards. He was a hard nut to crack, but he cracked, nonetheless."
"Mhmm, go on?"

"Mr Loham, sire. He decided to reach out to them, so they made a deal. His daughter's freedom, and they get to rule as his cabinet. The man agreed."
"A fool, thinking that he'd be able to tame and rule rogue wolves."

The actions of that man, have me rethinking why I opted to keep him breathing in the first place. He is testing waters, the very waters that might just end up drowning him to his very death.
"If I leave to meet Mr Loham, I will kill him most certainly. I can't have that."
"So, what do you suggest, sire?"

For a minute, a whole minute, I remain mute, pondering, contemplating my options with caution, all the while fixating eyes on the vampires before me.
"I want you to seek them out, seek those pups out. The rest, I shall handle myself."

"Yes, sire."
Another scent diffuses down the terrazzo corridors from the laundry room, a scent that, for the longest time now, has been punishing me, almost affecting my ability to reason rationally; the intoxicating scent of fresh mountain waters, with a hint of morning dew.

Without looking into her direction, I turn and walk off calmly, arms still clasped behind my back. Still, my ears make out the exchange between both she and Dario, and for some unfathomable reason, my jaws clench.
"Tîgre, I haven't seen you since two nights ago."
"You mean the night of the dinner? Please, do not remind me."

"But you are okay now?"
"Of course, I am. I mean, aside from constantly wishing that the earth would crack open and envelope me whole, my sanity is still intact, I am still breathing."
Dario's laughter, throaty, deep resonates, and immediately, I withdraw myself from their little conversation.

I mount steps, neverending spiral fleets, all the way up to the halls leading to my room. Her scent remains prominent, and I have to stop myself by the rails on the edges of the hallway, look on the floors beneath. There she is, stood in all her glory, throwing her head back in soft pearls of laughter, holding onto one large laundry basket, walking side by side with Dario.

I lean myself against a pillar, fold arms before my chest, and simply gaze down at the couple slowly making their way up, oblivious to any watching eyes. Pursing lips, I turn and make my way into my chambers, moving to my study area, and sitting myself atop the leather seat.

The fireplace is warm, with dancing and leaping lilac flames, just as I like them. I unfold the laptop sat on the finely-polished desk, key in the password, get down to work. The heads of each faction, minus the human faction, call for another council meeting, great.