Chapter Two

Stenwulf strolled lazily along a dirt path. There was a pull to run but he fought it. After walking a few more minutes he heard the sound of a brook, instinctively reaching towards his empty canteen. His boots thumped as he maneuvered his way down the step-like terrain. He muttered under his breath every time he had to untangle grass from his ankle.

“What type of grass behaves this way?”

Despite the obstacles he managed to get to the brook. Just as he twisted the cap off his canteen he heard rustling and shouting. There was only one person, he was sure, and she sounded young. By the time he realized the girl was heading his way it was too late. On one side, was a cat as big as a small dog and a girl who couldn’t be older than twenty years? On the other, he sat frozen in a half crouched position with his canteen dipped in the water.

“Why are you here?” she finally asked, flustered.

He shrugged nonchalantly, his green eyes looked over her and she grew visibly uncomfortable. “What are you doing here? And dressed like that?” he asked, laughing. “Not that I’m complaining”.

She tried to putting on regal airs but she was obviously shaken up. “These are my lands; I have every right to be here”.

The man lifted an eyebrow and smirked, making her knees shake. “There isn’t a city or even a village for days. What are you playing at?” he asked with a shake of his head.

Confused, she could only say, “I rule Marisean. It is not far from here”.

The man stood and he saw that she’d barely reach his chest if they stood side by side. Their gazes met and hers suddenly held a new emotion. He had no time to think about it before she walked through the brook.

“What are you doing?” the man asked pulling her onto the bank.

There was a mewing, but it sounded musical.

“You belong here”.

The man stepped back and put his hands up. “But we’ve just met” he said, caught between an apology and more laughter.

He couldn’t know that Bonfire felt his reluctance and slight spark of attraction. Or that the feeling was one she’d never experienced so was tempted to reach out to it but restrained herself.

“Dieni doesn’t like anyone but me and she’s welcoming you” she said.

“You’ve been out here too long. I don’t know who you are and I don’t care, excuse me” he said, turning around.

“My name is Queen Bonfire, I can only save my people with your help” she spoke softly.

He left her with a strange sense of desolation as he laughed and walked away.

Stenwulf walked until his legs grew tired. He sat down on a nearby log to rest and took a drink. He hadn’t felt right just walking away but she seemed very unstable. He considered himself a reasonable person, but her cat’s mewling was stuck in his head. And the more he thought about it, the more he thought about the girl with dark, reddish orange hair and light brown skin. She was petite where the women he was used to were muscular, although lean, and short when he was used to looking women in the eyes. Standing next to her, he could’ve held her and rested his head comfortably on top of hers. Surprised by the thought, and how natural it felt, he choked on his water. Standing abruptly, he began walking again. And then, realized he hadn’t really gone anywhere. Looking into the sky he couldn’t tell if any time had passed. Confused, he began to look around for any landmarks. As he became aware of his surroundings he heard a sound that alarmed and left him even more confused ; the sounds of a peaceful book. Stenwulf knew he’d walked far enough for most of the day to be gone, but here was a sign that he was heading back the way he came.

“Of all places to get lost” he muttered, kicking the log in frustration.

He sighed and reached for his map, hoping he’d made a simple miscalculation. Something hit his head and he dropped it. Cursing, he looked up to see a raven sitting on the branch above his head.

“I don’t suppose you know who did that?” he retorted, not expecting an answer.

The raven made a noise that sounded suspiciously like a laugh. He turned to leave and had to cover his ears against the piercing, angry cry.

“Fine, what do you want?” he shot back.

The raven flew a few feet ahead, and then cocked its head back to see if Stenwulf was following. He shrugged, giving up any attempt to make sense of his predicament.

As he traveled, he noticed the forest creatures seemed oddly focused on him. The idea that they knew more than an animal should made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Their attention made him self-conscious of his long black hair and slightly feminine features. Despite a strong jawline and heavy build, his pert nose and thin eyebrows had set him apart from other men in his village. Even his ears had been called ‘soft’ and it had been enough to lower his status. He shook his head, wondering why he’d think about that at a time like this.

But then, how much of this day had made any sense?

His thoughts were interrupted by an alarming cry seconds before a sword was swung at his head. Ducking he landed a hard blow to his attacker’s chest. From the corner of his eye he saw someone charging him, and elbowed them in the face. But he was tackled from behind and had no time to react before more people were on top of him. Angry, he forced himself to his feet and threw men off as if they were weightless. He got in a brief scuffle with a man before landing a solid blow to his stomach. Just as he was getting up a blade pressed against the back of his neck.

“What are you doing here?” asked a gruff voice.

Before he could reply he saw a now familiar shape fly towards the man’s head.

**

Bonfire sat in her garden, too afraid she would run into that man again. She ran her fingers over the flowers that managed to grow. The motion calmed her down, but she was distracted. He was so unlike anyone she had ever seen and yet, even the forest had accepted and led him to her. Some part of her mind refused to accept someone who’d laughed at her, but that voice was quickly covered by the memory of the man’s linen tunic stretched over his chest and cloak which gave him an almost menacing presence. She sighed, caught up in thoughts of her unexpected infatuation. She didn’t hear Councilman Drahem’s approach until he spoke.

“Who gave you permission to be here?”

He ignored her question and said, “I’ve come to warn you. You don’t have much time queen. How long do you think your subjects will follow a leader who won’t save them? Even when the answer is right before her”.

She fought down her anger, determined not to let him see he’d gotten a reaction. Putting on a detached front she replied, “I have been among them, councilman. They know I’m doing my best”.

Her words were met with a derisive snort.

“That is not feeding them, it is not feeding the children” he said. “A king needs to be crowned!”

“And who do you envision on that throne?”

Before he could respond, a guard called, “Queen Bonfire, you’re needed immediately!”