[3] Night before

Kasumi's pov...

  It was already a few weeks after the Final Selection.

  Me and Tanjiro got home to be greeted by Urokodaki-sensei and a particular girl, her name is Nezuko, she is Tanjiro's demonic sister. 

  I wasn't able to talk to her for my entire time training here, cause the first time Tanjiro brought her, she was in coma. 

  ...

  I looked out of the window, there, I could see a beautiful sunrise. Usually, I will get early to enjoy the morning scenery, then proceed to train; But if I'm not mistaken, today, my Nirichin blade will arrive.

  From what I heard, only Nirichin blades can kill demons, normal blades are useless. 

  I walked out and stretched, then I could see Tanjiro training at the side. I looked at him, and back in the house; it was dark, but I could see the girl in a pink kimono under a futon; hiding from the sun.

  Being bored, I picked up my katana and asked Tanjiro if I could train with him, of course he agreed; and we trained for the next few minutes.

  ...

  The entire time training was calm, Urokodaki-sensei went out into the mountains, saying he needed to do something; we waved goodbye, and at that moment, a weird looking guy with an octopus mask came walking up to us. As he got close, I could feel a weird vibe coming from him, as though he is angry or something...

  As usual, Tanjiro walks up to the man and asked him if he was the bladesmith, but all the sudden, the man started to spit out facts about Nichirin blades, which made me felt awkward in the corner while Tanjiro tried his best to have a conversation. 

  It took quite some time to get the swordsmith in the house, and while he passes our weapons to us, he was still blabbering about some strange facts. I sighed, not wanting to reveal my weapon first, I waited for Tanjiro to remove the packaging.

  His Nichirin blade was a normal katana as expected, not that he was basic, it was just something that a guy like Tanjiro would be fine with. He looked at it with a surprised face and inspected it at all angles, and suddenly stopped inspecting and waited for the color of the blade change. It takes some time if I wasn't wrong, around 3 minutes or so? I can't really remember. 

  Suddenly, a kaguya crow flew in from the window and made a loud noise, causing the swordsmith to jump a bit. Getting annoyed with all the chaos happening today, I glared at the crow, which it answered it with a message, 'Caw, caw! A mission for Otani Kasumi! A demon has been going on a rampage, killing all the villagers it passes, find the culprit, and stop it! The mission starts tomorrow, Caw!' 

  I couldn't help but change my glare into a look of surprise, my first mission came before I could even inspect my Nichirin blade, I gave a quick nod to the crow and pet it. I then revealed my weapon without looking at the two people in front of me; A twinblade. Without looking up, I could feel the stares of the two people, ignoring them, I gripped the blades and inspected it.

  It had a claw looking structure; the base was the blade, the exterior part of it was carved into the shape of wings that are in the shade of my hair color, there was also the handle, which was bandaged up for unknown reasons.

(the base design of the twinblades isn't mine, credit: Epic-Soldier from DeviantArt)  

  I gripped the handle tightly in a reverse pose, and waited as the colors started to change. I watched it as the color of grey steel turned into a shade of white and blue. 

  I looked at it, it was a weird color for a blade, but it really does look well with the exterior parts of the blade...

  And when I stood up, Urokodaki-sensei walked into the house with his katana. With a mask on his face, it was hard to tell if he was surprised to see a black blade; which was super rare, and a twinblade laying on the ground. But right after, he just walked over to Tanjiro, and started to explain about his sword, but unfortunately, black blades were so rare that it was rarely said by anyone. 

  In the corner, I started to play with Nezuko while sensei tries to give some information on the blade. I then turned to look out of the window,  I tried to enjoy the environment, but the thought of going on a mission destroyed it. 

  Of course, it was normal for anyone to be a bit tense at their first mission. I don't get the reason for feeling such, but it's just a human reaction. I took another glance at Nezuko, she looked very similar to Tanjiro indeed. I could still remember how surprised I was to see a demon being brought back by Urokodaki-sensei, it was something unusual for a demon slayer to do.

  I sighed as I notice Urokodaki-sensei approaching me, he got a good look at my weapon. I just waited until he spoke up, ' It's rare for someone to be wielding such a big weapon here in Japan.

  Knowing it was, I just shrugged, people would want to have a weapon that won't wear them down, but I think if you are strong enough, having a big weapon would be helpful. Out of the blue, my teacher placed his hand on my shoulder and said that he was relieved to see us alive. I just nodded, the memory flashed in my mind. When I and Tanjiro got back a few weeks back, when he saw us, he just dropped whatever he was holding and hugged us. I could still remember him tearing up, I guess he was just relieved that his students didn't die...

...

  The evening greeted me with a beautiful shade of orange and red, I walked out of the house and stretched for a bit. Tanjiro followed me out and wished me luck on my upcoming mission. All I did was give him a small smile, I'm pretty sure a lot of people could tell I'm an introvert, but I can be very talkative when I'm with someone I'm very close to, like Megumi.

I could feel the wind breeze blowing against me, I just took the time to enjoy it. Tanjiro got the situation and proceeded to walk away. I sighed and took a last look into the deep galaxy.

  ...

  'Maybe life isn't just full of misery'

(Artwork are all by me)