Abyss

They weren't even in the mine yet, and Sabrina could already feel the Darkness invading her mind.

It was stronger than when she and Ambrose had astral projected there earlier in the day. Likely because it now had her physical form to grasp onto. Absentmindedly, she wondered if it felt the same for Caliban, who was standing at her side.

She looked up. The sun was still high in the sky. She turned her face towards it and soaked in its warmth for what could be the very last time. It was so different from the Darkness at her back. Turning to face it filled her with a crushing sense of dread.

With a deep breath, she took the first step into the mouth of the cave. The air was stale, and it took a considerable effort to work it through her lungs and breathe it back out again. Her heavy breathing was one of the only sounds in the cave. The other sounds were their footsteps and the creaking of the lantern Caliban was carrying.

It was made of Damascus steel and forged in the fires of Hell. If anything could contain the Darkness it was that. If it couldn't-

She couldn't think about that right now. Having doubts would only give the Darkness something to sink its teeth into.

"The energy down here is as you said," Caliban observed, "It's evil and old."

"I feel terrible," she admitted, stepping over a pile of broken rocks and small boulders.

"And that will only get worse once you're inside," Ambrose said. She could barely see him. He was little more than a shadow or a shade. "Prolonged and acute exposure to the Darkness is lethal."

"Death by despair," Caliban mused.

"What's he doing here?"

Sabrina shrugged, only to realize that he probably couldn't see her.

"I couldn't very well let my fiancée wander into Absolute Darkness alone."

"Fiancée?" Ambrose echoed, "What do you mean 'fiancée'?"

Sabrina groaned, "It's a long story-"

"You didn't think it was important to mention you were getting married?"

"Not with the end of the world on the horizon, I didn't!" she took in a deep breath, or did her best to in the dense air, "It's a political move."

"It could be more if you so wish it, my lady."

"Not helping, Caliban!" she shouted in what she hoped was his general direction.

"Do you think that makes this situation any better, Cousin?" Ambrose asked.

"No," she admitted, "It's... complicated."

Ambrose's voice softened, "We'll discuss this later. Preferably, when the world isn't at stake."

"We will," she promised, "Not a word to the Aunties."

"Cousin-"

"No, 'buts' Ambrose," she stated firmly, "They'll freak out. This is the last thing they need."

"Fine," he acquiesced, "Now, we'd best get on with it."

She couldn't agree more, "Caliban, give me the lantern."

She reached for it, but her hand collided with the fabric of his shirt. He laughed, and she heard the creaking of the lantern high above her head.

"What the heaven are you doing?"

"I'll be accompanying you, my lady," he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I don't need your help!"