Chapter 39

⚠️ Poisoning + Death ⚠️

   The next day, Miranda sent me a letter. What was inside shocked me.

"Dear Madam Stone,

    I apologize for skipping the formalities of my normal letters, but this is urgent. It is about your captive, Mr. Brown.

   I fear for his safety, and your heart, Juliet. The village people don't approve of hostages if they are not used to experiment with the Cadou, or 'Black God' as they like to call the Megamycete. There is talk of storming your manor. They mean to kill all the inhabitants and burn it to the ground.

Juliet, this decision is up to you, but if you would like to save the lives of your staff and your self, than I would dispose of Mr. Brown as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
    Mother Miranda"

My hands shook as I read on. Falling to my knees, my breath was stolen from me.

Thomas happened to be next to me, and picked up the letter from the ground while trying to comfort me. I heard him read it in quiet whispers.

He too stopped breathing. But quickly steadied my shaking hands, "Juliet, come up to the northern tower with me."
"W-Why?" My voice cracked horrendously.
"Just come up with me."
"Okay..."

   We reached the top of the northern tower. I looked out at my estate. The place I thought would truly be my home. The thought of it being but mere ashes and blood made me shiver.

"Juliet," Thomas said, he voice wavering slightly. I turned around.

He was holding a vial with a black liquid inside. He stepped closer, "This is poison. It will kill me quickly and won't hurt." My heart dropped, "Thomas, no! Are you crazy?!" A lump formed in my throat.

He looked up at me, his deep brown eyes would never fail to pierce my heart even in moments of distress. We both knew this was the only way to prevent a massacre.

I nodded, and he uncorked the vial and drank. After a few moments of silence, he fell to the ground. My scream echoed through the village and beyond.

But, in the end, all turned out well for everyone. Everyone expect me.