Chapter 16

Pebblefrost watched as Blackfire and Rainstar entered camp again, noticing that they had more scratches and bites across their pelts, some still bleeding. Pebblefrost looked worried, and quickly walked up to her sister.

"Blackfire! Rainstar! Are you okay?" Pebblefrost mewed with worry. Rainstar nodded.

"Oh it's just a couple scratches, we'll be fine for now." Rainstar meowed. Blackfire nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, Rainstar's probably correct." Blackfire agreed. Pebblefrost looked unconvinced.

"You should still visit the medicine cat so your wounds don't get infected." Pebblefrost replied. Blackfire nodded.

"Fine, as long as Snowmist isn't too busy." Blackfire grumbled. She watched as the two cats hurried into camp, and padded towards the medicine den. Pebblefrost moved to her paws as she walked to the warriors' den for some rest. It felt so strange that the only cat she had to speak to in the warriors' den was Kestrelbelly. It had felt different ever since Cinderstripe died. Just thinking about her death is saddening... Pebblefrost thought as she cleared her mind, trying not to focus on the gray she-cat's death. She slowly drifted off into sleep.

Blackfire licked her wounds a bit, cleaning them, but saw Snowmist approach her. "Blackfire, don't do that, I don't want them to reopen!" Snowmist reminded. Blackfire let out a grumble of annoyance but didn't argue. She moved to her paws, and began to exit the den. "Are you sure you feel good enough to leave?" Snowmist asked.

"I think so." Blackfire responded. Snowmist purred.

"Well, that is good. But don't go hunting until your wounds are completely healed." Snowmist answered. Blackfire nodded.

"I won't." Blackfire meowed as she exited the den. She quickly noticed that the fresh-kill-pile was lowly stocked, and walked up to a group of cats talking, consisting of Hazelberry, Sorrelfoot, Larkstorm, and Marshstep. "Stop talking and go hunting, the fresh kill pile is really low." Blackfire snapped. The four cats looked annoyed, but didn't want to start trouble with their deputy. Nodding, they all headed out of camp. Blackfire knew it would take more than four cats to stock up the fresh kill pile, so she walked up to Mothwhisker. "Could you take out another hunting patrol? You can take who you want." Blackfire asked. Mothwhisker nodded.

"Of course." Mothwhisker purred as she moved to her paws, going to find some cats willing to come with her. Blackfire watched as she left, and noticed the apprentices doing nothing. She walked up to them.

"Stempaw, Tigerpaw, where are your mentors, and where is Bramblepaw?" questioned Blackfire. Stempaw was the one to respond.

"Bramblepaw went to the medicine cat because he had a stomachache, but Ivytail and Leafpetal are asleep." Stempaw answered. Blackfire let out an annoyed huff.

"Wake them up, you both could use some training." Blackfire meowed as she moved to her paws again and padded off. She could see Rainstar in the leaders' den, and walked up to him. As she glanced at Rainstar, she knew that it'd be hard for her to kill him. But she shook that thought away and entered his den.

"Hello, Blackfire. Are you feeling better?" Rainstar asked. Blackfire sat down and nodded.

"A bit better than I was earlier. You?" Blackfire replied.

"Quite better indeed, but I still could use some rest." Rainstar responded. Blackfire nodded.

"I sent out patrols and stuff, so our fresh kill pile should be filled, and I sent the apprentices out training." Blackfire meowed. Rainstar smiled with happiness.