Chapter XXVII

Viktor was wrapped in his own little bubble; isolated from his family. Not only was he deserted by his own wife and children, but his majesty was swamped in his kingly duties: the king acts as a focus for national identity, unity and pride; he gives a sense of stability and continuity; he officially recognises success and excellence; and he supports the ideal of voluntary service. More than that a king's duties include: opening each new session of parliament, not forgetting approving orders and proclamations with the respective councils. The king also has a special relationship with the Prime Minister, retaining the right to appoint and also meeting with her on a regular basis.

The house of parliament don't sit every working day of the year. Ministers and members have full roles outside sitting times and the business of parliament does usually not require more than fifty to sixty sitting days each year. Annual sittings are divided into two sessions - the Budget Session - from February to early July - and the Spring Session, which are from September to December.

Most sitting weeks are three days, sometimes four, usually Tuesday to Thursday and often Friday as well. Sitting hours vary between the two houses, usually beginning at 12:00pm for the Legislative Council on Tuesdays and 10:00am (11:00am in Legislative Council) on other days. Sittings usually end around 22:30 in the evening but will sometimes go beyond this into the early hours of the next day (particularly in the Legislative Council). Details of sitting day programs are provided for each chamber, obviously.

Parliament is the legislative arm of the three elements in the system of government. The other two are the executive (the Cabinet) and the judiciary (judges and courts). Each has separate functions and acts to balance the power of the others.

The Parliament of the People's Kingdom of Monteiro is the law-making body for the State of Monteiro, directly elected by the people to make state laws, control state finances, and discuss matters of importance to the people of Monteiro. It consists of two democratically elected Houses the Legislative Assembly and the Legislative Council. 

Parliamentary elections determine the state government which is formed by the party with majority support in the lower house. The state premier and ministers (the Cabinet) develop policy and carry out the laws through government departments. They remain members of parliament and are responsible to it. 

An assent of the king to a Bill which has been passed by parliament, and which thus becomes an Act of Parliament. Royal assent by the king (or through commissioners of the crown) is required before a Bill can come into force as law.

In all these roles the king is supported by members of his immediate family. Or at least he's supposed to be. Even Athena had enough of Viktor's pride; so much so that they hardly spoke when his majesty came home at night or when they had meals together, that too was scarcely happening.

At last the queen had enough of the tension between them and the festering wedge that was separating Viktor from his children. He came home, drained of his life force, and trudged into their en suite bathroom for a steamy shower. Athena was sitting in their bed, grading essays from her students while simultaneously arranging her itinerary for the next week.

The king groaned while he exited the bathroom and trudged mutely to his side of their bed. "You missed Julien's showcase," Athena stated sourly then focused solely on her students' work. "You promised me you would be there."

"It's not like Monteiro's going to run itself, Athena."

The queen sigjed heavily then took her glasses off. "I hardly know you anymore," she stated. "We understand being the king isn't a stroll in the park but would it kill you to at least ask your children how they're doing, every once in a while?"