Chapter XXXII

Nationals! That gruelling figure skating competition that puts a year's worth of hard work to the ultimate test. The down side was that it was the same day as the grade twelve farewell. Hosted in the motherland of Monteirian figure skating, Corde. There's always talk of a home field advantage so Margaux Vega had the upper hand. Gretchen too, in terms of province, but she was from Margeaux. The Beaumont ice rink has been known to turn novice skaters into Olympic champions. Case in point; the honourable guest judge, Queen Athena! Her majesty was heavy hearted from getting her own daughter disqualified.

That didn't mean she wasn't going to take full advantage of the freedom that came along with it! Eastview Sports College was now awarding three fully paid scholarships to the most deserving competitors, which was no simple scholarship. A figure skating scholarship oftentimes included: a coach and a choreographer; admission fees to all their competitions; accommodation, if necessary; a four year contract with Eastview's ice skates manufacturer; and regular masterclasses with Monteiro's queen of figure skating, Queen Athena.

Winning or losing wasn't applicable for a scholarship and her majesty made that explicitly clear. Athena also made it clear that an independent committee would choose the worthy recipients, to prevent any conflicts or favouritism. The queen was strictly judging what she saw in front of her.

Coach Diane was in the locker room with Gretchen, doing off-ice warm ups while Ainey was setting up to do Gretchen's hair and makeup. Among the thirteen other nationalists was Margaux. She and Sophie Toussaint were preparing her for her own routine, away from Saint Dymphna's sights. The music pulsated heavily in the locker room along with the roaring crowd. Gretchen was passing nervously while Ainsley finished setting up her makeup.

Coach Diane grabbed her nationalist by the shoulders and gave her a pep talk to calm Gretchem down yet get her high on adrenaline to do her best and not lose focus. The Coach left to wait rink-side like she usually did. Gretchen sat down anxiously so Ainsley could do her hair.

The princess coolly combed out the pixie cut before gelling it into place. "Of course you're calm; you're not the one about to determine whether or not you can participate internationally," Gretchen jeered. "Why did you get yourself disqualified," she groaned in frustration. "You're good at this! I'm supposed to be in your shadow not the other way around."

"Think of it this way," Ainsley replied coolly. "I talked you into doing figure skating with me, in grade nine. You were skeptical beyond compare but still tried. If anything, this is fate coming full circle."

"How!"

"Now we can see the outcome of my debating skills and your willingness." Gretchen relaxed lightly in response. "Regardless of the outcome, I'm super proud of you, Stick Legs." Ainsley hummed as she hugged her lady-consort. "I couldn't ask for a better wing woman in my corner."

Gretchen pouted then sniffed lightly then hugged her best friend. Ainsley sat beside her friend to do her makeup. The heavy black all around Gretchen's nose was a heavy contrast to her bright red lips. Still it matched up to her gothic black costume with the red detailing. The best friends hugged tightly then Ainsley aided Gretchen into her school jacket.

They headed for the ice for on-ice warm ups while music still boomed from the speakers. Sophie Toussaint sat in the front row while Ainsley joined Coach Diane along the barricading. After warm ups, everyone came off the ice and Gretchen sneered sourly at Margaux as she passed her.

Margaux rolled her eyes then turned to Ainsley with Sophie at her side. Sophie also jeered at their rivals while Ainsley and Margaux were in light staring competition. "Didn't you wear that," Gretchen asked Ainsley.

Her highness did a double take at her fiery red and orange costume that Margaux wore, under her unzipped jacket. "No," the princess replied. "Maybe it was something similar but not that." Gretchen turned to Coach Diane, when she called her, and Ainsley nodded lightly at Margaux.