Chapter Five: What's Best For You

The first two pony items Lyra had ever collected were laid out on the dining table. The filly clutched her tail close to her chest, breathing heavily as she stared at them.

"Uh..." She gulps and looks up at her parents.

Bluenote wore a concerned look on his face, his ears slightly pinned back. Lily was floating in the shadows, the most Lyra could make out was her crossed forelegs and the stern expression on her face. Blue was the first to say something.

"Lily, do we really need to go through with this?" he asks his wife, scratching the back of his head.

"With what?" Lyra grew more afraid by the second. It was bad enough that her parents knew she was sneaking to the surface, but now she was going to be punished.

"Uh, Lyra, you're in big trouble," Bluenote says, trying to keep a calm tone with her. "You need to promise us that you'll never sneak off to the surface again."

"Uh, I'm really sorry," Lyra says. She shamefully looks down at the objects on the table, but slightly perks up as she thinks of what to say next. "But, you know, it's not that dangerous up there. Maybe I could show you."

"I told you," Lily snaps, swimming up to the table. "Our daughter has a death wish."

"But, Mom, we're always careful!" The young Kelpie covers her mouth with her hooves as soon as the sentence slips out of her mouth.

"'We'!?" Blue and Lily say in unison, turning to stare at their daughter in shock.

Lyra lowers her hooves and continues speaking. "Me and my friend, Sweetie Drops. But it's okay. She's one of us."

"Ah, yes. There's usually a bad influence," An unknown voice says from behind her. "Good thing you sent for me when you did, huh?"

Lyra turns to see a pair of electric green eyes and a floating orb of the same color hiding in the shadows. Taking a better look, she sees a strange looking Kelpie sitting in the lounge chair eating a kelp wrap.

"Lyra, this is my brother, your Uncle Low Pitch," Bluenote says.

Lily directs her attention to Pitch. "Thanks again for coming all this way on such short notice."

"Of course." He swallows the kelp wrap and slowly swims towards the table.

From there, Lyra can see the entirety of his body. His scales are a blueish-gray and his fins are rounded and have a pale teal color to them. The glowing orb was a natural attachment on his head, bobbing whenever he moved. His torso is completely transparent, exposing his ribcage and internal organs. The younger Kelpie backs into the table as he comes closer.

"Hello, Lyra. It's really nice to m—"

Pitch pauses where he is, letting out a low, wheezy breath. Lyra hears her father's voice behind her.

"Lyra, I need you to punch his heart." She looks at the red organ floating in his ribcage. "That's right. The red thing. Punch it."

She gives a light tap, Blue shouting, "Harder!" to which she actually punches Pitch's chest. The older Kelpie coughs and sputters in Lyra's face, making her fan the water around her, but letting her know he'd regained consciousness.

"Thanks for that," he says to her. "Too much oxygen up here. Not like the deep. As you'll learn." He nudges Lyra with his foreleg and chuckles.

Lyra had to make sure she was hearing correctly. "What?" The deep? What does he mean by that?

Pitch continues talking, possibly not hearing Lyra's voice. "Sure, there's no sunlight, but there's nothing to see anyway. Or do. It's just you and your thoughts, and all the whale carcass you can eat." Lyra's focus is mostly on the abhorrent sight of her uncle's see-through chest, but she still listens to his ramble. "Little bits of it just float into your mouth. You can't stop it. You can't see it. So if you... The mouth opened, the whale carcass go in. Yes, good. I recommend it." He claps his hooves as he turns to Lyra. "Come on. No time to waste."