Chapter 1

The Stardrop Saloon was the place to be on a Friday night.

More accurately, it was the only place to be in Pelican Town on a Friday night.

Verona chatted amicably with Emily as she fixed her a drink behind the bar. She asked Haley to join her, but she chose to spend the night with Alex instead. She mentioned something about not wanting to interact with her sister more than she thought was necessary, but Verona struggled to understand why. Sure, Emily had her quirks, but in the end, she was sweeter than Robin's strawberry crumble.

And she always gave her a discount on drinks when Gus had his back turned.

Emily slid her drink across the beaten counter. "You should really stop by more often. You brighten up the room with that aura of yours." She motioned to her, the crystal beads on her wrists catching the light like a disco ball. "It has this shimmer I don't often see around here. Maybe because you're from out of town."

"Thanks," she heard the doubt in her voice, "I think?"

"Oh, don't worry. It's a compliment." She sighed dreamily. "I think you're rubbing off on Haley. Her aura used to be so blah, but now it's much brighter. I suspect you have something to do with it."

She merely smiled as she took a sip of her drink. The orange juice and grenadine barely masked the burn of liquor. Emily was also very generous with her alcohol. One of her mixed drinks left the room spinning if she drank it too quickly. And she never needed more than one. It was a mistake she only made once after she woke up, half-naked and covered in hay, with Shane. The pair agreed never to speak of it again. They had taken to avoiding each other ever since.

Even now, he refused to meet her eye from across the bar.

Clearing her throat, she set her drink aside and said, "We both know she's a lot nicer than people give her credit for. She just needs to warm up to someone first."

Emily leaned against the bar, cradling her cheek in her palm. "Oh, I know how sweet she can be, but I like to see her hanging out with someone who isn't Alex. I love that boy, I really do, but he's a bit bland for my tastes."

Verona shrugged. "Alex is fine."

"No one wants to be described as fine," Emily said with a knowing smile, "Unless they're being called fine." Verona shook her head, earning an airy laugh. "You know I'm right."

"I will neither confirm nor deny such things."

Emily pouted. "Boo. You're no fun."

At the end of the bar, a harried-looking Elliott plopped down in a seat and waved Emily over. She eyed him warily, then turned back to Verona. "He must have finished another long writing session," she whispered so only she could hear, "he always comes here for a celebratory glass of wine, but if you ask me, his first order of business should be the bathhouse."

Verona hid her smile in her drink.

With a smirk, she added, "I got to keep working, but let me know when you need a refill. It's on the house. Just don't tell Gus."

"You spoil me."

"Anything for my sister's best friend."

Like she said, sweeter than strawberry crumble.

Drink in hand, Verona wandered over to the game room on the far side of the saloon. Abigail and the boys normally laid claim to it before she arrived. The enduring smell of cigarette smoke and old pizza proved that much. To her surprise, the trio was absent that evening and the game room abandoned. She stepped inside, studying the games consoles on the long wall. She lingered on one – Journey of the Prairie King. The monitor transitioned between the trial and the high scores.