[VII] - Demon Princess

The brown-haired boy, hugging his duvet tightly, was exhaling deeply, just waking up from a terrifying nightmare.

His whole body was shaking, hands trembling like boiling water. Little Chêne could not know how to cope with the fact that this horrible experience was just a projection of his brain. So, he just glared at the other side of his room, not blinking, worried that when he closes his eyes again, he might return to that burning castle.

'Horrifying! I would never wish anything like that to happen, even to my worst enemy!' He thought, still in panic.

"Sorry, Did I scare you too much?" He heard a sweet and quiet, high-pitched voice ask him. It came from the corner of his room, as if the voice spoke from behind the red curtains by his window.

The fact that someone was in his room shocked Chêne greatly.

"Who! Who is there?! Why are you hiding?!" He exclaimed loudly, looking at the curtain, still not being calmed after his bad dream.

He knew monsters and demons exist in this world, but was to rest assured that they would never reach anyone on the grounds of this mansion. So, he lived a life without any worries about bad ghosts and other malicious creatures attacking him.

But right now, after the dreadful dream he had, a thought of a bad omen has arisen in his mind.

'What if this "something" induced this? I need to call for help!' He thought, but could not tell it with his mouth.

He saw the curtains move, so his throat got frozen and made him unable to scream for help. Five years old Chêne hasn't had enough experience in fighting monsters, he couldn't even fight with his peers, so what was left for him in defense, was to hide under his duvet, hoping that the monster wouldn't attack him.

Trembling, he covered his head with a quilt and waited for the thing to go away.

"Am I so terrifying?" The voice said once again, but in a much sadder tone. "I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to do that. Please don't hide from me..."

The creature started to cry, its wailing was hearable even for a kid hiding under a thick duvet.

'I've made a monster cry... Yeah. I'm the greatest warrior in Bastion!' Little Chêne thought, smiling, covered with his blanket.

But the creature didn't stop crying, and it got only worse and louder. Soon enough, Chêne's whole room was filled with an annoying whine, like the whistle of a kettle.

'Why can't the monster go away? Its crying is making me crazy! Is it so weak? Maybe I can fight it by myself!' Little Chêne's heart started to beat faster.

If he could strangle that monster, he would make his parents very proud, and the whole city would be talking about the youngest knight in history!

This made his heart race even more, so he decided to clench his teeth, and throw the duvet he was under on the monster.

'This way I can definitely block the creature's movement. And what's next... We will see! Okay!' He caught the quilt with his tiny hands and counted in his mind to three.

'One'

'Two...'

"Three!!!" He yelled out the last number loudly.

Then he jumped out of the bed, throwing the duvet in the direction he heard the crying from. To make sure the monster won't free easily, little Chêne weighed it with his body, and joyfully screamed:

"Hahaha! I've got you! You're so small! You're going to regret taking me as your victim! I am the strongest among all the people here!" He laughed as the little body of the creature struggled under him, screaming while crying.