15

"Boss, what're you doing here?" Kyle asked, just as surprised as everyone else.

"Murder on this scale? Why wouldn't I be here?" Chief Mason asked. His eyes still locked on Ethan. "May I ask why The Snapshot Killer's brother is here?"

Irritation leaked into Ethan's words. "I have a name, and I was asked to be here."

Chief Mason scoffed then turned to Carson. "Detective Carson, give me your thoughts about the situation."

Carson rubbed the back of his head nervously. "Well, actually, you should probably be asking Ethan. He's the one who found all of this."

Dude! Mason already hates me! Don't make it worse! 

"Oh? Well, let's hear it," Chief Mason said. He pulled out the manager's chair and sat down. He looked like he was waiting to be entertained, which pissed Ethan off more. 

Composing himself, Ethan spoke, "I believe the bodies were brought here after the killer tortured them. He wanted them to suffer then let the smoke from the fire finish them off. I think it's personal. I can't say the same thing about the other killings, but it's possible now that I think about it."

"He?" Chief Mason asked.

"I saw the killer bring the bodies in here on the cameras. It was bad quality, but I was able to make out the figure. It was definitely a man. I couldn't make out his face." Ethan could see that Mason wasn't impressed. Or at least he didn't show it. 

"Were the bodies found like this? Out in the open?" Chief Mason asked.

"No, I, uh, moved them. I covered my hands, though!" Ethan said. He knew this was just about to get worse. A lot worse. Mason looked for any excuse to remind him of his failures.

"Tampering with the crime scene is a grave offense. I could have you arrested. However, no one is better with corpses than you. So, I'll let it slide. At least you were careful. You've had plenty of practice," Chief Mason said, smirking. 

"So, sir," Kyle interjected. "That's the situation. I trust Mr. Miller's examination."

"Me too," Carson said. 

Mason got up and walked over to the bodies. "The situation is getting more severe. This killer is getting more ambitious with each kill. It's only a matter of time before he makes his ultimate move. I bet he's having the time of his life. Watching us run around picking up his leftovers." Mason looked at Ethan. "And the police relying on a civilian for help. Disgraceful."

Go on then. Say what you wanted to say. "Relying on The Snapshot Killer's brother." That's what you meant to say. Coward.

"I'm going to head back to the station. Mr. Miller, I want you to stop by before you head home. That's not a request. If I wasn't clear," Chief Mason said, walking out of the office.

"Does he not know I don't work for him? Prick," Ethan said.

"Woof! That was intense. Honestly, I expected worse," Carson said. "He looked like he was ready to cuff you right then and there."

"No joke. He seriously has it out for you. That's why we need to hurry up and find the killer. The more time we waste, the more the list of suspects will shrink. I believe your name is on that list, Ethan," Kyle said. 

"I'd like to see the bastard try. Like hell, he's going to pin this on me. " Ethan hissed. Clenching his fists, he punched the desk. 

"Carson, mind going with him to the station? I'm gonna finish up here. I'll join you guys after. Just be careful around him, E. Don't give him the satisfaction of seeing you like he wants to. Don't give him an excuse."