Eleven

My mind is dark, empty. It's a black room, void of all light. Void of sound, feeling, thought. I cannot conjure a single thought. My hands are bound behind my back, bound with shadows. My motions are slow, so slow. Everything around me has stilled as I stare into the void.

***

"Cass," a soft voice whispers, floating through my ears like musc. I know the voice from somewhere far away, somewhere other than here.

My head pounds as I try to force the darkness away, trying to open my eyes. But my body is heavy, so heavy.

"You're safe," the voice whispers again. Soft, feminine, but cold. Her name is on the tip of my tongue, but I cannot grasp it. The world still blurs.

***

It's a while before I can force my eyes open, the dark spots leaving completely. Nova hovers over me, sitting in a chair beside my bed, a book in her lap. Bandages were wrapped around my fingertips, aching.

"Where is he," I rasp, my voice so small and weak. Nova looks up at me, smiling.

"You're back," she says, taking my hand. I resist wincing as her hand touches my fingers.

"What happened?"

"You don't remember?" she says, worry striking her voice.

"No, I do. But what happened after?"

"General Alios put you to sleep with a sedative. He and the Prince brought you to your chambers. Maeve and a healer tended to you."

"How long have I been asleep?" I rasp again, my voice straining. I try to look around the room, finding it empty beside Nova, but just as I left it.

"Only the day. It's just after supper."

"Where is he?" I ask again, trying to sit up. My mind flies, overloading my brain from the past hours of stillness. Everything is coming at me faster than it should, and I feel as if I am spinning out of control. I need to see him.

"Ronan is just outside," she says, looking at me skeptically. "Shall I fetch him?"

"No," I rasp. My body moves slowly as I turn, moving my feet over the edge of the bed. The carpet is cold, so cold. I take a blanket off the bed, wrapping it around my shoulders, covering my silk night dress.

"Cass, what are you doing?" Nova says, running around the side of my bed, standing in front of me.

"I need to see him." With every passing word, my voice gets clearer, and my mind quiets until I am focusing on one thing.

I didn't kill them.

My father wouldn't have told me.

"Cassandra, you cannot leave like this," Nova pleads, her hand on my knees. "Think this through. You are the crown princess, Cass. You're lucky the castle was empty today."

Her words tear at my heart, but I know she's right. Today was... horrendous. "I need to see him."

"I don't think-" she begins, but trails off. "Did he confess?" I shake my head, rubbing my eyes with my palms.

"He didn't do it. Please, Nova, I need to speak with him." I pull my hands away from my eyes, staring at the white bandages at the tip of every finger, now blooming with red. Nova sees it too, her gaze softening.

"Only if we get that cleaned," she says, taking one of my hands.

"No," I shake my head. "I'm fine, it can wait. I need to speak with him," I plead again, trying to stand. My legs feel like twigs, snapping under my weight. Nova catches my arms, setting me back down on the bed.