Eight

I wake the next morning with tears dried on my face, curled in around myself, gripping the sheets. I stare at the olive green satin, unblinking, unbreathing. The sun hasn't yet leaked through the curtains, hasn't yet risen. My breath is soft in my ears, that with the soft sound of the wind in the trees, the steady flow of life outside the castle. Everything is alive, but me. And even then, I'm still here.

You are alone. Your parents left you.

You are unworthy. Nothing you do matters.

The Land will fall at your hands. It will be your doing.

The spirits have decided; this is how you will end.

I blink, a tear falling down my face as my inner demons attack me. I breathe, inhaling the floral scent of the castle, it only reminding me of her. I bury my face into the pillow and let out a lone sob before returning to my lifeless state.

Sitting up, I rub my face, staring at the wall across from me. My body is numb as I go through the motions of waking up, pulling on trousers and a blouse. I must have stared at my pale reflection in the vanity for a while, or at least until Maeve came into my chambers to wake me. She helped me out of my daze, making me look presentable, even pulling a laugh from my dry throat. Other servants brought in food and tea, giving me just enough time to eat before Ronan followed me downstairs, out the front doors of the castle to send off Erora.

"What do I need to do today," I ask Maeve as we walk through the hall.

"Nothing, miss," she replies. My brows furrow.

"What do you mean, nothing?"

"I'm giving you a day off, Cassandra. Do not argue. You should spend it with Princess Nova." I sigh, not finding a point in arguing.

"Very well."

The crisp air greets my face as we step out the doors, meeting with Nova, Erora, and a herd of guards, along with a coach. Both princesses are dressed in similar attire, their faces paler than usual.

"Be safe," Nova says, hugging her sister at the bottom of the steps. A faint smile dances on my lips as I stand beside them. "And give Adda my best."

"I will," Erora replies, hugging her sister once more before turning to me. "I will be back in four days," she says, nodding. I pull her into a hug, smelling the freshness of her hair, the smell of the ocean, water.

"Invite Adda to the ball; I would love to meet her," I say with a smile, meaning every word.

"I will."

With that, Nova moves to my side, linking our arms, as we watch Erora enter the carriage, shutting the door without another glance toward us. Faintly, through the window, I watch her smile, resting her fingers on her lips.

"How long has it been since they have last seen each other?" I ask Nova as the carriage begins moving, headed for the front gates and beyond.

"A week before we arrived here. They've been with each other for over a year."

"Does your mother know?" Nova nods.

"She loves Adda; we all do. Especially Erora." I laugh.

"I would hope so." We stand in silence, watching the carriage fade into the distance before I speak again. "I need to speak with Ronan, but my day is free after that. I was thinking we could go into town?"

"That sounds nice," she replies.

"Alright then. I will find you when I'm done." Nova nods, walking back into the castle, and I turn to Ronan. "I need to speak with you in my study." He gives me a quick nod, following me as I make my way back inside.