Chapter Three - The Bait

Sun Hei drew her sword; she created from the fiery lava she welded and blocked her strikes.

"You're really strong, old bird!" she smiled at Jun Yao's shocked expression and sent her off with a fire blast attack from her sword. "But not enough to defeat me," Sun Hei boosted.

"Then how about me?" Emperor Chin asked, showing up, striking her as she blocked and dodged his attacks.

"Father, I don't want to marry our enemy!" Sun Hei said, defending herself.

Empress Lian came out on the grand staircase and yelled, "Nuwa, darling! Stop! Stop all of this! It's hurt my heart that you're fighting over a pity issue," she coughed. Suddenly, they saw blood spilled from her mouth as she fainted, falling onto the ground.

"Lian!" Emperor Chin yelled.

"Mother!" Sun Hei shouted.

"Empress!" everyone cried out.

They took her to the imperial physician, Dishi. After treating her symptoms, Dishi checked her pulse and temperature; while she rested on her bed in her bed-chamber.

"What's wrong with my wife, doctor?" Emperor Chin asked.

"Will she be alright?" Sun Hei asked.

Dishi said, "The internal bleeding may be due to stress. I've given her the medicine that can repair any damaged tissue in her organ. After she rests, she'll be fine, Emperor."

"Thank you, doctor," Emperor Chin smiled, and he left.

He frowned at Sun Hei, who felt guilty. She didn't say a word but waited to be scolded. He sighed heavily.

"Sun Hei, Chin darling," Empress Lian started.

"Mother," Sun Hei spoke. She came to her side and held her hand.

"Yes, dear," Emperor Chin said.

"Please don't fight," Empress Lian muttered.

"I promise we won't, mother," Sun Hei assured.

Chin nodded, agreeing.

"Good," Empress Lian smiled. She caressed Sun Hei's hair gently. "You've grown to be such a beautiful young lady and a fierce warrior as I imagined."

"Yes," Sun Hei blushed.

Empress Lian became serious and frowned, "But you've disappointed me, darling, because you couldn't conquer the war of marriage; between two countries seeking peace."

"I was immature, mother. I'll marry White Tiger Empire's prince and mend our wounds with this binding tie," Sun Hei answered.

Emperor Chin was surprised; that she surrendered quickly to the scheme, he plotted with his wife and winked secretly at his wife, "She took the bait," he mouthed.

Empress Lian smiled in thought, "Yes, she did," and said, "Thank you, Sun Hei. I'm proud of you, darling."

"Now go, get ready to leave. It takes three days to reach White Tiger territory, Sun Hei. Remember, you are representing the entire Red Lotus Kingdom. Save your people, Sun Hei from war," Emperor Chin encouraged.

"Yes, father," Sun Hei said.

"Take good care of Prince Yang Feng, Sun Hei, and don't play any tricks on him. I heard from his mother; that he has quite a temper and is pretty strict. So tidiness is an issue, dear," Empress Lian said.

"Awe...stupid Prince Yang Feng!" Sun Hei yelled, storming off.

"Finally! I'm happy, she's getting married, and I'm getting a grandchild in a year," Empress Lian smiled.

"She's going to be mad at us when she finds out this was your plan," Emperor Chin said.

"No, she won't. She'll be too busy falling in love to be upset at us," Empress Lian laughed.

Sun Hei met Tao in the hallway with a worn-out dress.

"I won't ask you to wear it, Nuwa. Just give me my steam buns," she said.

"Sorry, Tao, maybe later. It looks like we're going to White Tiger Empire today," Sun Hei answered.

Tao shouted, "What! You're doing it!"

"Yeah, after all, mother almost died from our mess. It's better this way, I guess," Sun Hei frowned.

"You hate it," Tao said.

"Of course I do; this Prince Yang Feng is going to get a piece of my mind," Sun Hei said, cracking her fists.

Tao smirked, "This sounds like trouble."

"Oh, it better be," Sun Hei grinned.

She went to her quarters or pavilion and changed into the red with gold flora design traditional ceremonial tulle and satin wedding gown. Her maids styled her long hair and did her make-up. Afterward, she wore the see-through face veil.

"You're ready, Princess?" Tao asked, dressed in her green dress with her daggers hidden under it.

Sun Hei stood up and looked in the mirror. She saw a woman who glowed in beauty like a goddess before her eyes.

"This is me?" she questioned.

"Yes, Princess, and you look beautiful," Tao said.

Sun Hei faced her, surprised to see her wearing an elegant dress than warrior clothes or armor.

"Tao, is that you? You look normal, strange," she said shockingly.

"What do you think, dummy? I'm a woman just like you. At least I'm not the one getting married," Tao smirked, biting an apple as Sun Hei sent a cushion after her.

"Be quiet, you slacker. Don't think I'm going to suffer in this mess alone," Sun Hei warned.

"Nuwa, don't even about it. I'm not seeing anyone," Tao said.

"I'll get married as long as you do," Sun Hei threatened.

"Don't start with this, Nuwa. You want to give your mother another heart attack," Tao replied.

She sat down on her bed and folded her arms.

"Miss, we have to leave the carriage is waiting," one of the maids came in.

"No! Not unless someone promises me something," Sun Hei said, raising an eyebrow at Tao.

"You...." Tao frowned and sighed. "Okay, fine."