Chapter 1

Shadekit raced around the nursery. Today she was going to be an apprentice! She could hardly wait to see her mentor and hear her name chanted throughout the clan. She walked up to her mother who was grooming her brother.

"Mom?" She mewed.

"What is it Shadekit? Are you nervous?" Her mother meowed between licks.

"I was just wondering... What is it like to be a warrior?"

"Well, it's a big honor to become a warrior but it's also a great responsibility. You have to be willing to put the clan before yourself. Whether it be eating or fighting, the clan always comes first."

"Who is my mentor, mother?"

"I believe Redstar chose Stoneclaw to be your mentor." Shadekit's eyes grew big with wonder. Her mentor was Stoneclaw! He was a well respected warrior for it was he who had saved Redstar from a Riverclan warrior during a battle at sunning rocks. If he was not there, Redstar would have lost his fourth life. She quickly ran out of the nursery just in time to hear Redstar call the clan.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join beneath high rock for a clan meeting." The cats slowly ambled towards the giant rock that jutted out over the clearing. Redstar continued, "Today I call upon Starclan to recognize a new apprentice of Thunderclan. Shadekit please step forward." Shadekit stepped forward on trembling paws.

"You have grown of age and are ready to start training to become a warrior. Stoneclaw, you have not had an apprentice yet so I am assigning you to the duty of mentoring this fine young kit. You were my apprentice and I expect you to pass on all I have taught you to your own apprentice." Stoneclaw nodded his head in agreement, a soft purr rumbling in his throat.

"From his day forward until you have completed your warrior training, you will be known as Shadepaw. Starclan look upon this kit and recognize her as an apprentice." The cats assembled started mewing Shadepaw, Shadepaw, Shadepaw. Shadepaw could not be happier. Stoneclaw gently bent down and touched his nose to hers. She raced over to the apprentices den and found Firepaw sitting outside.

"Congratulations." He meowed.

"Thank you! I can't wait to start training!" She replied. She ran off to the fresh-kill pile and picked a wood mouse out. She padded over to the apprentices den and quietly ate. Her first day of training would be tomorrow and she was going to need to rest up for it. She slipped into the den and found a moss nest that was not occupied. She kneaded the nest a couple times and laid down to rest. She woke to a prodding in her side.

"Shadepaw! Wake up! It's time for training!" Firepaw was prodding her in the side. She jumped to her paws and raced into the clearing where she saw Stoneclaw waiting. she raced over and they slipped out of camp on their way to the training hollow. Suddenly, Stoneclaw stopped.

"Wait... I smell Riverclan." he mowed quietly. He sniffed deeply and suddenly whirled around. Four Riverclan Warriors were standing behind them already ready to pounce. Stoneclaw jumped and landed right on one of the warrior's backs. He sank his claws in and the warrior screeched in pain. He streaked away through the undergrowth. Shadepaw quickly realized she had to find help. Stoneclaw was locked in battle with the two warriors. They were smaller than him but he looked like he would be fine. Shadepaw raced away through the trees and back to camp. She burst into the clearing, panting heavily.

"We need help! Riverclan attacked us on our way to the training hollow!" She meowed quickly. Redstar flicked his tail at Darkstorm and Owlheart and they raced back out of the camp. They arrived just in time. Stoneclaw was battling with one warrior. The other was nowhere to be seen. Just then, five more Riverclan warriors burst through the undergrowth. Shadepaw leaped into the fray. She spotted a black and white Tom running towards Stoneclaw. She streaked up to him and raked her claws down his haunches. The Tom whirled around and scratched her ear. She quickly retaliated by ducking under him and jumping up with all her strength. The warrior went flying and landed with a thud. She ran over and scratched his side deeply. The warrior streaked off into the undergrowth. She turned around to see her clan mates watching her. The Riverclan warriors had gone. She realized she had been fighting while her clan mates watched. She felt embarrassed at first but then she thought about it and realized it might be a good thing.

     "Well done Shadepaw!" Stoneclaw mewed. "That was very good! You are going to be a fine warrior some day!" Shadepaw beamed in happiness. First day as an apprentice and she was already doing great!