Chapter Ten

The humble kitchen was never usually such a mess. But, when time slips through one's fingers, the usual isn't always what ends up happening. And that was just how Chica had found herself. Already surrounded by dirty mixing bowls, different sized piping bags, splotches of food dye on the countertop that almost looked like confetti, and unbeknownst to her, a spot of light turquois blue icing on her feathered cheek. All the while trying to mix all the necessary colors of cake icing, she had Carl standing by to make sure the phone didn't get covered in sugar and flour.

"Is everything there?" Chica asked to the phone, as she continued to add miniscule drops of yellow into the cake icing. "Yep. The box of decorations are here, along with what we have so far for gifts." Toy answered, before adding, "Bonnie and Bonbell are going to help me decorate. You want me to start that around 3:30, right?"

"Yes, because according to Gold, the pavilion is in sights of the bench him and Freddy always sit at."

"Ah. Okay."

The oven timer suddenly dinged, indicating that the two parts of the cake were done. Quickly putting on her oven gloves, Chica went over to grab the cakes. "Wait, I thought you said Fredrick was going to help?" She wondered, as she searched through the kitchen drawers for the cake tester. "He was, but he ended up having to finish up his gift. If he doesn't do that now, the paint won't dry in time to be brought over." Toy explained. "No no no!!!"

"Um, it's not even something to worry about, Chica." Toy told her, misunderstanding why Chica was sounding so distressed. "No, not that. The cakes aren't baked through enough!" Chica explained, as she basically rushed to put the cakes back into the oven. "...neither is that? Look, you still have a lot of time to finish the cake." Toy tried to tell her. "Just, calm down. Don't stress yourself out please."
"I'm honestly trying not to, but I want to make sure everything is just right!"

"That's why we're helping you." Toy reminded her. Chica took a second to take a calming breath once the oven door was shut. "... Thank you."

~~~

Today was a very curious day so far. For the past day or two, Freddy couldn't help but feel like people were talking more, carefully, to him. As if they were maybe keeping something. And this morning. Despite the café being closed, Chica seemed to be in a hurry to ,'check something' anyways. It was odd, and when he asked her about it, she ever so politely brushed him off.

So, Freddy decided to simply take a walk. Maybe a walk in the park would be nice. He was certain there were spots he hadn't walked through yet. Like where the pavilion was that he'd seen the other day when him and Gold spent the afternoon with their parents. The bear began in that direction.

"Pull your end up a bit more, pal!" Bonnie called out to Bonbell, who was on top of the opposite ladder. "How much?" The bright blue bunny asked back, while holding his end of the streamer. "A couple inches."

"It's lookin' good so far." Gold complimented. He'd arrived a couple of minutes ago to see if the trio needed any help. "Thanks." Toy answered, as she removed the outdoor tablecloths from the box. "Are you sure I can't help you in any way?" Nodding her head, Toy simply said, "I'm sure. We've got enough... hands..." She suddenly trailed off and looked over the bear's shoulder. Her turquois eyes quickly widened. "... What?"

"Behind you." Toy said in a low voice, as she looked away as to not attract the person's attention from the distance. Gold turned around, and could see Freddy off in the distance coming down the trail. "Go distract him!" Toy whisper shouted, all while trying to keep her cool. "I- Oh, yes-" With that, Gold disappeared.

Before Freddy could so much as blink again, his brother appeared in front of him. "Hello, Freddy." Gold casually greeted, as he watched his younger brother nearly fall over in reaction to his sudden appearance. "Must you give me a heart attack?!" Freddy asked, as he regained his composure. Gold let out a small chuckled--trying to mask the sudden nervousness--before he apologized.