17. weekend

In the months that followed, Chuck began spending more time with Maia's family at their home like he was a 'legal' part of the family. He voluntarily helped out around the Mendoza home. On some days, he would even cook for the family. He was like a son Nanay and Tatay never had.

"Baka naman napapabayaan mo na yung sarili mong condo at lagi kang andito"

"No po." Chuck smiled as he helped Nanay Maring with the laundry. "I don't have too many things in the condo po."

"Sa sunod, dalhin mo na rin yung marurumi mong damit at isasabay ko na dito"

"No na po. I can manage naman po in the condo. I have a washer in the bathroom."

---

"Hindi ata dumalaw si Chuck nitong Sabado't Linggo?" Tatay asked during breakfast time. They were so used to seeing him at their home on a very regular basis that his absence was particularly felt when he didn't come over one weekend.

"Hindi pa rin bumababa si Meng."

"Nag-away ba sila?"

"Hindi naman siguro. Wala namang nakkwento si Meng." Nanay recalled.

"Tawagin mo na at baka mahuli yun sa trabaho" Tatay said.

---

Two nights ago, Maia received a text message from Chuck saying that he wasn't going to the orphanage for the weekend as he was expecting a sudden visitor from abroad. She was startled by his call in the middle of the day. She was waiting for a ride when he called so she couldn't hear him very well plus the signal was wonky. She wasn't even sure if Chuck said he'd text her instead. He didn't. Maia wasn't too worried at the time. She was also busy with work and in their year-long relationship, Chuck didn't do or say anything that would cause alarm or worry.

The next day, Chuck texted her with a rather cryptic message. "I'm in Cebu. I'll be back on Sunday evening. I don't think I'll be able to reply because the signal here isn't that great. Love you."

Sunday evening came and Maia didn't receive any message from Chuck. Because she had never been on an airplane, she didn't know much about flights and plane schedules. Besides, she and Chuck had always been honest with each other. For sure he had a good reason for his sudden disappearance.

As Maia was preparing to go home in the afternoon, Sr. Berna texted Maia saying that she was needed at the orphanage. Aside from work in the orphanage office, Maia was asked to stay to take care of a sick child in the nursery.

Little Miguel had a high fever and felt very uncomfortable. He kept on crying and was reaching out for Maia to pick him up. Unfortunately, Miguel vomited almost as soon as Maia lifted him out of his cot. She caught most of his vomit on her clothes.