Chapter Three

Katie decided to drive herself all the way to her hometown in Elizabeth city. She kept herself entertained with music, and on occasion, an audiobook.

She hadn't been back in her childhood home since she was 18. When she'd started college at Lofter University, she hadn't looked back.

Unlike back in Alexandria, the roads of North Carolina were clear of any snow or ice, and the temperature, Katie was sure hadn't dropped to what winter nights in Alexandria had been.

Not much had changed in town. The old bank, and grocery stores remained where she'd last saw them, although with minute changes to the outside. New buildings had gone up at the intersection before the long road, a Piggly wiggly, and a Tropical Smoothie. She travelled 6 miles down the narrow country road, passing homes with several acres of land behind them. Old memories of being driven around the area by her parents inevitably entered her mind. She'd lightly raised her foot from the gas, remembering how dangerous this road was. With it's sudden sharp turns and lack of streetlights, the road had a reputation all it's own. It wasn't uncommon to see flowers, ribbons, and crosses with names of people who'd become victims to this road.

Finally, she pulled up to the old house that she grew up in; A big white box in the middle of nowhere.

Dozens of cars were behind one another, leaving her with barely enough space between the driveway and the narrow country road. Even though it was 10:30 at night, the house was still lit up. Every window had light shining through behind the wreaths.

Unlike in Alexandria, there was no blast of bitter cold smacking her face when she'd opened the door. Instead, the temperature felt like a comfortable mid-60s.

When Katie reached the steps with hands full of luggage, she sighed to herself. The house held so many memories, very few of them good.

She stepped on the face of Santa Clause at the front door, and cleared her shoes of any possible dirt. The door opened before she had a chance to knock.

Uncle Rudy was at the door; white hair and cheeks puffed with whatever he was eating.

His eyes lingered on her, as if to wonder who she was.

"It's me Uncle Rudy," she said, shrugging. "Katie."

His eyes widened. "Katie," He chomped. "Of course I remember. You look great, almost like a different person."

Katie expected this reaction, not only was she 100 pounds lighter than before, but she also much older. A lot had changed after Katie had gone off to college and graduated. Her self-esteem, her motivation, and her appearance.

He went in for a hug, squeezing her tightly. He had the same scent as she remembered as a child; cigarettes mixed with an exotic cologne.

Behind him, she could see the familiar light wooden floors and cream-colored walls of her childhood home. She recognized the family pictures that hung close to one another on both walls of the narrow hall. All pictures of a seemingly happy family of 5. He asked if he could take her luggage, and she wasted no time thanking him. The 4-hour trip from Alexandria to Elizabeth city was draining.

When Katie stepped foot inside the house, she could smell the lingering scent of cooked meat. Voices came from the living room. Her Aunt Cheryl and Max were close together on the couch. A big book of family pictures covered Max's lap. When she saw Katie, she'd moved it over to Aunt Cheryl.

Max smiled bright when she saw Katie. Standing up, she hugged her tightly.

Max's perfume was strong and smelled sweet like starburst. Her blonde curls seemed tighter since the last time Katie had seen her, and her parting pink lips revealed the same bright white teeth that she remembered.