Chapter 7

March 3rd

Katie and George had made a date for this evening after her newest and final client, 6-year- old Colin.

As she watched him in the playroom, playing with Legos, she observed him keenly. Katie watched how he built things, piling on the Legos and then tearing them apart, putting them back together again the same way. He'd done it several times, as if he'd expected a different outcome––perfection perhaps.

Once again, Colin hadn't said anything during their initial meeting. However, Katie noted the fear, at least in her presence, was gone. He seemed quite comfortable during play therapy. He wasn't looking around, watching the clock inside the red cat on the wall, nor did he sit with his face resting on his palm. He appeared curious and imaginative.

She'd written down everything that she'd observed of him, preparing to let one or both of his parent's know his status. Angela had been the one she'd kept contact with the most. Her husband, Reed, from what Katie could tell so far, had seemed to take a less active role.

When Katie arrived inside her apartment, the smell from Phil's cage had met her at the door. Without another moment to waste, she took him out, cleaned his cage, and gave him a quick bath in the bathroom sink. It didn't take long since she'd rushed it, and as soon as she'd finished, she got ready for her date.

Katie waited outside of her apartment complex, watching the cars zoom by from both directions.

His shiny red tesla pulls up beside her. The windows were tinted, but she could still see his face on the driver side.

Katie opened the passenger door and slid inside.

George smiled at her. "Good to see you, Katie."

"You to," she said, smiling.

George turned his attention to the large screen above the cup holders. His fingers tapped the screen several times, before he'd leaned back, relaxed, and allowed the car to do the driving itself. She wondered if this was how he normally rode, or if he was simply showing off in front of her. Katie liked money as much as the next woman, but she didn't care for a bragger or a show-off.

"Where are we going again?" Katie asked.

George had suggested a restaurant Katie had never heard of, but liked food so much she was excited to go no matter where the location.

"We're going to––" George neglected his sentence, swearing loudly.

Katie looked over at him. Concern filled her face. "What?"

"My wallet. I left my stupid wallet at home."

Katie's heart sunk. A flashback of her college years had come to mind, where her classmate had taken her on a date and conveniently forgot his wallet. However, George was older and wealthy, he could certainly afford to cover his meal as well as hers. There didn't appear to be any reason why he'd pull something so juvenile and tasteless.

"We'll have to make a quick stop at my place and get it," he announced.

Katie agreed to it, and the car proceeded to drive smoothly down the road.

George pulled up to the gated driveway of his gigantic home.

He rapidly typed numbers into the keypad, and then the black gates slowly parted. In this moment, Katie felt like a protagonist in one of those popular romance novels, the protagonist who gets swept off her feet by the handsome billionaire. But Katie was also logical, and she known there was always a catch to things like this––it was just the nature of life. Still, she'd enjoy it until it inevitably ends.