-- 4 --

Isis was sitting at the deep brown kitchen bar with their notebook and pen meanwhile Michael was on the other side in the kitchen. Isis admired the brick structure above them that extended to both sides down the wall and attached to the bar. They could the fairly large white decorated square counter with rows of brown cabinets on each side and a shiny copper kitchen hood above. They continued to view the kitchen appliances and other features until Michael spoke.

"Isis."

They came back into focus. "Sorry. Continue with your answer."

He laughed. "Impressed?"

"Very." Isis replied. "I admire the aesthetic your home has. Vintage."

"Thank you. That's what I was aiming for."

"Why's that?" They asked.

"I admire the Victorian structure. I tried my best to incorporate it into my home." He responded. "Would you like to eat?"

"No."

Michael shook his head with a laugh. "Jesus, there's that barrier again."

Isis protested. "I have no such thing."

Michael gave them a look. Isis smacked their teeth and sighed. "Alright, so I do. Rightfully so."

Michael leaned against the counter. "Go on. Let's hear the reason."

"You are intrusive."

"Get used to it. Tell me."

Isis scoffed at his response. "Everything ties to my kidnapping. Satisfied?"

"And? There's more to this story that contributes to your behavior."

"You never let up, do you?" Isis said, slightly entertained. "Being kidnapped was the most vulnerable experience in my life. After I came back home, I made a vow to protect myself with a barrier. I'm aware of the coldness that I present to people. It keeps people at bay. I get very upset at anyone who challenges it. There is no one I trust enough to see past it."

"But here you are, allowing me to see past it."

Isis scrunched their arched black eyebrows as they thought about his statement. They looked at them with realization. "Yeah. Interestingly, I am."

"So, our sessions so far have been on your childhood for the first chapter, but we haven't gotten as deep as I'd like. Your recounts have been brief and I'm sensing that's on purpose. Is there a reason why?"

"My childhood isn't something I like to think about." Michael admitted. "It was a dark time of my life."

"What about it was so dark?"

"Abuse." He said short. "A lot of it."

Isis' heart twisted into a knot after hearing his response. "I'm so sorry, Michael. I had no idea that you were a victim of child abuse. We don't have to discuss deeply about your childhood. Let's just briefly touch on it once more then we can move onto your adult years. How did your transition as a young child star to a teenager affect you and your art?"

"Well, when you are a child star, a lot of people have the tendency to put you in this box. You must be a child forever. A small boy with a big, soulful voice had the world in amazement. They couldn't believe the talent he possessed at such a young age. But a child star has to grow. We sprout, but because of that box, we suffer. I suddenly did not have the youth the world originally fell in love with. It created insecurities that led me to alienate myself. I alienated myself so much it became hard for me to pursue women. When I did, the relationships often fell apart because I had poor communication skills. I didn't know how to convey my emotions. I hid from them often."

"How has that changed?"

"Well, you don't see a woman with a wedding band around here, do you?" He laughed. "Am I more mature? Yes. I put more effort into my relationships, but I still have communication problems. I still hide. They fall apart. I rather be alone than in a relationship I know will fail."

"Have you considered a therapist?"

"Michael Jackson talking to a therapist? The recordings would be sold to every news outlet."

"Michael, you're only 33. You still have the ability to work on yourself to have a successful relationship."

"It's not possible. Every time I have talked to anyone, it's exposed to the world. I trust you and my family will not do that, but no one else."

Isis began to jot down notes in their notebook. "That's your call."

"And what about you? Do you have a partner?"

"Why? Interested?" They joked as they continued to write their notes.

"If I went down that road, you'd poison my coffee with arsenic."

"Oh, I'm not terrible!" They laughed. "Murder is not my style."

"Oh, no? Then the answer is yes. I am interested."

Isis looked at him, slightly taken back. Was that a joke? Or did their decision to reveal their true character attract something they weren't expecting?

"You, an international pop star, is into a ghost writer? Next joke. There are singers, actresses, models, and more you can date."

"Strip me from that label and you will see I am as human as you. I share the same distaste you do for celebrities. Hollywood is filled with unpleasantness I have no desire for."

Isis pushed their notes aside and leaned back in their chair. "Alright. I'll entertain you for a second. Let's say we did date. How would you keep it glued together if you have poor communication skills and refuse to see a therapist?"

"I'd find out along the way."

Isis laughed out loud. "Hate to break it to you, Michael, but you can't enter a relationship and wing it. You have to think ahead before starting one."

Michael pondered for a few seconds before replying. "Okay. Like what?"

"You're kidding."

Michael gave them a confused facial expression. "No."

Isis could not believe how oblivious Michael was. They knew he had poor communication skills, but they assumed he was still practical. Had he been so isolated he's clueless about how relationships work?

"Is it what you want? Why do you want it? What do you want out of it? What future do you envision with them? Are you doing it to solely benefit you or do you desire to treat them with the uttermost respect, care, and love? Simple questions, Michael. Come on."

"Could you write that down?" He asked, looking at their notebook.

Isis laughed even louder. Is he serious? They thought. Michael was so clueless on relationships, he needed them to write down what he should be thinking about. If he wanted to pursue Isis, he most definitely ruined any chance with them.

༺ • ༻¨*:·..·:*¨༺ • ༻¨*:·..·:*¨༺ • ༻¨¨༺ • ༻