Acceptance

***Author's note: I really was interested in what Kanao would have felt right after the conversation she had with Shinobu that took place in Chapters 131 and 143 of the manga. I would like to imagine it went a little like this and it also gives a small interaction between Tanjiro and Kanao before she goes to train with the wind Hashira. In my opinion, I felt these two needed more interaction to better develop their bond. So I wrote this small snippet. Enjoy!***

____________________________________________________________

        "Let's talk about how to kill the demon... who killed my sister Kanae". The flashback of Shinobu's words made Kanao tremble. After much discussion, she knew it was her Master's choice. Hopefully a choice that would not have to be made so soon...

        The wind carried the humidity, sticking to her cheeks as she stepped outside the Butterfly Mansion. Many of her fellow comrades were still training under the other Hashira. Before leaving to join the Wind Hashira, she stood in silence staring at the butterflies from afar. Her arm feeling stiff, unable to lift a finger for one to perch and bat its wings.

        Tanjiro had just finished eating soba noodles with Giyuu and was preparing to join the others, when walking back he took notice of Kanao standing outside. Her back facing him, he decided to run up and greet her. However, he could pick up a different scent than usual. Instead of the strong scent of flowers, in place was a scent of sorrow. Almost similar to those who are mourning a passing of a loved one. He slowed down as he approached her, "Kanao, are you...did something happen?"

        Turning to him, her demeanor changed and she wore her usual soft smile, "Oh Tanjiro! How is your training?" He could tell she was avoiding his question which made him more concerned. Using her logic, he asked again making eye contact, "Kanao..." his pause made her realize he was serious. "...Kanao, whatever happened, just know I'm here if you need me. You know I enjoy talking. And I especially enjoy talking to you and hearing your voice". He gave her his benevolent smile as she took in his words. It was not a subject she could discuss with him, let alone anyone else, and that had made her more uneasy. Although at the same time, she felt reassured by his gesture. A small, genuine smile now don her face. 

       "Thank you, Tanjiro. You have always been so kind. My heart feels warm when I speak with you." she replied, placing her hands over her heart. Tanjiro felt his stomach flutter and pulled her in to a tight hug. She was shocked at his sudden compassion, but soon took comfort in his embrace.

        A single butterfly danced around them landing on the top of her hand as she pulled away. It was a beautiful purple and green butterfly. Taking her eyes off the butterfly to meet his, she conveyed her gratitude to him once again.  He had suddenly realized his hands were still holding onto her arms and in a quick manner he pulled away sheepishly. 

        "Well-uh... it's best you hurry to the Wind Pillar. Let me know how it goes since I have yet to look forward to training with him!" he responded.

        Kanao bid him farewell and set off to continue her training. As she walked down the narrow pathway, feeling more calm, she knew that Shinobu's fate was one she would have to woefully accept. Shinobu's voice echoed in her head, "I will not fail to weaken the demon...so you must cut off his head and finish him."