I'll go Sit on the Floor Wearing Your Clothes

And I'll go

Sit on the floor wearing your clothes

All that I know is I don't know

How to be something you miss

Never thought we'd have a last kiss

Never imagined we'd end like this

Your name, forever the name on my lips

——

February 2015 - day after the prank

They had been at the hospital for a few hours. They would have been there sooner if the rangers didn't insist on interrogating them first. They said that they wanted to talk before they forgot anything. Like they could forget anything from that night.

Mike got his fingers bandaged before disappearing into Jess's room. Emily and Matt were off getting her bite stitched up, and Ashley had been put to sleep when they arrived after becoming hysterical. Chris had gone outside to wait for Mrs Washington, who was arriving by cab any moment. Apparently Bob Washington was stuck in Hollywood, trying to book a flight.

This left Sam by herself.

She was relatively fine, despite showing the early stages of hypothermia and a couple mild burns from the explosion. She honestly felt like she got off easy compared to Mike's fingers, Emily's bite and Jess's.. well, everything. She had been given a few painkillers, a blanket and a warm drink and was sent on her way. She couldn't blame the doctors, knowing that they were, rightly so, more concerned about her friends. So she sat alone in the hall, the weighted blanket heavy on her shoulders as she ran her finger along the mouth of the coffee cup.

The sound of metal tapping on the hard linoleum floor could only be from one person. She looked up and, as she thought, saw Chris waddling down the hall, leaning on crutches with a bag in his hand. He had been let out after they bandaged his ankle, and had been at Ashley's bedside until Mrs Washington's call.

"Here, Melinda brought some spare clothes, she's talking to the police." he offered her the bag. She took it hesitantly, expecting to see some of Hannah or Beth's old stuff, but instead she was hit with the familiar smell of Josh's cologne. She put her cup down and used her shaky hands to pull out the top item, a fleecy dark blue flannel. She dropped the bag beside her, clenching the flannel in her lap.

"Thanks, Chris." She gave him a small smile. He nodded, not sure what to say.

"I'm gonna go check on Ashley. Yell if you need anything," he told her.

As soon as Chris was gone, Sam stared at the shirt, her knuckles turning white from her tight grip. It wasn't until she noticed a drop of water land on the shirt that she even realised she was crying.

She had kept it all in up until this point. Josh's faked death, being chased in such a vulnerable state, having to see the monster that her best friend had become, it had all left her with plenty of tears to shed. She hadn't cried during the interrogation, just wanting to get out as soon as possible to check on her friends. It wasn't until now, when they were all being treated and taken care of, that she allowed the weight of her emotions to crush her.

Sam had never felt so alone. Even after the twins disappeared, she had Josh. Now she was alone. Mike had Jess, Ashley had Chris, and Emily had Matt. Where did that leave her? Her person was gone. None of the others would understand, they were all still angry at Josh for what he had put them through. But she couldn't find it in herself to hate him. Instead, she couldn't help but blame herself for not seeing the signs that he needed help, for not doing more.

After her sobs settled down into sniffles, she pulled Josh's shirt over her shoulders and buried herself in it. Somehow, his shirt was doing more to keep her warm than the blanket.