First Date (Part 2)

Alec stared at Magnus in disbelief. Magnus’ composure was calm, his eyes sparkling with a pleased shine.

“You...you think I’m...but that is...it’s...” Alec cut himself off, sitting back in his chair with a heavy sigh.

Magnus fought hard to not find it all completely endearing.

“You think, that I am beautiful?” Alec asked slowly, using the time to compose himself.

“I do. Exceptionally so; in fact.”

“But I’m not.”

“I beg to...”

“No.” Alec said, cutting Magnus off. Magnus looked a little surprised, but closed his mouth regardless; leaning back a little in his chair. His eyes locked onto Alec’s, showing him he had Magnus’ complete attention.

“You...you are beautiful. Jace, and Isabelle, are beautiful. They’ve always been the beautiful ones. They got my parent’s looks; Isabelle is practically a spitting image of my mother. They’ve got that flawless, natural beauty that I just don’t have. And I’ve accepted that, I accepted that a long time ago. That’s the way it has always been, and that’s the way it always will be. But I can’t...”

Alec paused, searching for the right words.

“I can’t let you lie to me. I don’t know if you’re saying it to make me feel better, or because this is some sort of pity date or something. But I can’t sit here and let you lie to me.”

Alec’s face was calm, resolved; as though this was something he really did believe. His eyes kept a hidden sadness, deep below the surface, and that chipped at the corners of Magnus heart.

“Alexander.” He said, reaching his hand out across the table.

Alec had been fiddling with his napkin, but stopped when Magnus pulled at his hand. Magnus held Alec’s in his, sliding their fingers together. Alec drew a sharp breath, but didn’t say anything; perhaps he was too shocked, or perhaps he didn’t know what to say

“I said you are beautiful, because you are. You may not see it, but I do. I’m not denying your siblings attractiveness, but for you to deny your own...I wasn’t lying to you. And this isn’t a pity date either.”

“Then why am I here? Why did you call me?” Alec asked.

“I called you...well; there are a lot of reasons why I called you. You caught my interest when I first met you, your innocent nature, and stumbling speech. Not to mention your eyes. You’re gorgeous and I caught onto that immediately. Anyone with eyes could see your beauty. However, the day after our first meeting, your sister came and...Rather forcefully told me to ask you out.”

Alec opened his mouth to speak, to object; but Magnus kept talking.

“But, before you saying anything, know this. I didn’t call you because she told me to. I told her I would, because as I’m sure you know, she is a fierce girl; who hardly ever takes no for an answer. I hadn’t intended to follow through and actually call you; after all, I teach your siblings. I didn’t want to freak you out, or anything.”

Magnus leant back further in his chair, gazing over at Alec with a concealing expression, a mask hiding his emotions. It confused Alec more.

“But then I started to think, really think about it. And I thought, hell to it. I haven’t been on a nice date with a good guy in months, and you are one of the most interesting, though not at first glance, people I have ever met. If you didn’t want to go on this date, you always had the option to say no. I realise I only gave a vague description of what this meeting would be; I wasn’t thinking too much at the time, and on reflection I really should have told you more.”

“That’s not to say.” He added after a moment’s pause, sipping at his drink; the ice nearly all melted into clear liquid. “That I’m not glad you’re here.”

Alec stared, once again that day, at Magnus. His expression was a cocktail of emotions, as was his brain.

“So, you asked me out on a date...not because my sister told you to...but because you wanted to?”
Magnus nodded, breaking his mask to smirk at Alec.

“And you actually think I’m good-looking?”

“Absolutely.”

“It’s a lot to take in...And a bit hard to believe, if I’m honest.” Alec continued, sheepishly.

Magnus pulled Alec slowly closer, their fingers still interlocked. Alec’s eyes widened, but he didn’t make a move away from Magnus as he was pulled close.

“I may have a way to...convince you.” Magnus whispered, their faces inches away

“Really?” Alec mentally winced at his high-pitched tone.

“Yeah.” Magnus replied, stifling a laugh. “If it’s okay with you.”

Alec nodded, too nervous, and excited, to speak.

Magnus leaned in, and Alec closed his eyes...