Chapter Two

While I drove, I thought about today, and amazed myself because I’ve done so many things already. It’s still Monday.

I pulled up in front of Mr. Adams’s house, and felt nervous for some reason…

I knocked on the door, and Kathrynne opened the door.

“Hey!”, she said, pushing her glasses up. She has retainers now, and no braces.

“Hey. So you got your braces off.”, I replied. “Yeah, just a while back. It’s a relief because I’ve had them since freshman year.”, she said. “Oh, that’s good… the having retainers part.”, I said.

She smiled… and it charmed me once again. Then she pushed her glasses up

 “Where’s your dad?”, I asked.

 “Why? Did he scare you a while back through the phone?”, Kathrynne asked.

 “No.”, I replied with a smile.

 “Oh, ok. Let’s go then.”, she said.

We got into my car.

“Thanks for inviting Me.”, she said. “Sure.”, I said while driving to the pier.

 “Do you drink?”, I asked.

 “Beer? ‘Course I do! I’ve tasted all types of liquor. I’ve been travelling around Europe since we moved away before. My dad doesn’t even know it, ”, she said.

“Yeah? That’s cool.”, I remarked.

We reached the pier and got out the car. The sun was still up a little, starting to set.

I got into the boat and held my hand out to help her in. She held my hand and hopped into the boat fearlessly.

I started the boat and zoomed it out the pier.

“It’s nice to be here again.”, she said.

 “Where exactly?”, I asked.

“In the boat… on the ocean… here.”, she said looking around. Then she looked at me and smiled. I looked at her as well and smiled a little.

 “Yeah.”, was all I said.

We got onto the platform and headed to the bonfire that started already.

But the meat wasn’t grilling.

“Jed!”, I exclaimed.

 “Why didn’t you start cooking?”, I asked.

 “Because you cook the best.”, he said while throwing me a beer

 “It’s a matter of starting placing the meat on the grill.”, I said.

Then he spotted Kathrynne.

“Hey, weirdo!”, he greeted Kathrynne. “Hello, crater face.”, Kathrynne greeted back.

“Ha-ha.”, Jed joked.

 “Nice to see you too, Jed.”, she replied, making Jed chuckled while she pushed her glasses up.

 Then he handed her a beer.

 “Thought you had braces?”, Jed asked.

 “Got them off a while back.”, Kathrynne said.

“Hey, guys!”, I said.

Everyone looked at me.

“Outhouse’s just near the dock. You may only use the bathroom inside the house if you want to deal with my dad.”, I said.