✦.⁺ insouciant.

2 NEW TEXTS

UNKNOWN

It's Fugo. I got your number from the student directory.

If you do decide to go tonight, be careful.

Text me back when you get this.

UNKNOWN

Ehilà. It's Giorno.

Trish and I are waiting for you in the parking lot. Black Maserati.

═ ☆. WEARING THE CHANEL GLASSES DIDN'T QUITE feel natural, so you hooked them over the neck of your sweater as you went out to the parking lot. Receiving a text from Giorno had been unexpectedly nerve-wracking. Giorno had your number, but you also had his. The thought was a little surreal. You hadn't been able to think of a reply to Fugo, so you'd left him on delivered. It felt shitty, but you didn't need his help right now.

You didn't know what a Maserati looked like, but the convertible manned by two voguish young people must have been it. Giorno and Trish were wearing tinted Chanel sunglasses, a matching scarf tied over Trish's pink hair. Giorno looked deceptively insouciant in an oversized windbreaker and a navy shirt, gold ladybugs embroidered near the collar. He had an arm slung over the side of the convertible and waved when he spotted you. Trish, meanwhile, was a fresh summer breeze in a creamy pink boho dress with puffed sleeves.

You made your way over to the Maserati, not missing the curious glances passing students gave them. They were probably wondering what someone like you was doing with the likes of Giorno and Trish. They wouldn't be the only ones.

Trish said, lowering her glasses to give you a once-over. "Look at you. That sweater looks good on you."

Why did every compliment from Trish feel backhanded?

"Thanks for the glasses," you said, your tone not entirely sincere. You didn't appreciate the smug look on Trish's face.

Trish tossed her head. "I was happy to get it for you. Now hurry and get in."

You didn't know why Trish got out of her seat before you realized that the convertible didn't have back doors. You clambered in gingerly, feeling bad for even touching the expensive leather. As Giorno pulled out of the parking lot, the engine barely made a sound. He was an adept driver, you noticed, fluidly turning the steering wheel and stopping the car so smoothly that you barely felt it at red lights. Either that or the car was so expensive that was just how it operated.

Cool air kissed your face as you cruised out of Naples' closely packed streets and out onto more open roads. The sky was beginning to darken, blue fading into violet and indigo. As you watched buildings and trees pass by, you wondered if this was what Giorno and Trish did every day. Drive luxurious cars and wear designer clothing, wind streaming through their perfect hair. They probably took it for granted at this point.

"Did you see the way those kids in the parking lot were staring?" Trish rooted around in her tiny clutch. Also Chanel. "God, they get on my nerves."

"We're interesting to look at," Giorno said. "You can't blame them."

"More like they don't have anything better to do. Have you seen my phone?"

"You left it in Mista's dorm room. He texted me to tell you he was bringing it."

"Of course I did. I'm always leaving things there. Pass me yours?"

Giorno passed over his phone to Trish without looking. She unlocked it before opening the camera to check on her makeup. Giorno and Trish interacted with each other in a way that made you feel like an intruder. There were countless rumours about whether or not the two of them were dating. Watching them now, you weren't sure.