18. under the shattered sky

time waited for no one. and nor did war.

kazuha had already learnt the pace of war years ago, the heartless speed at which it accelerated, moving forward like an increasing wildfire burning to ashes everything that stood in its way. war erupted suddenly and lasted until the sky shattered. some battles were silent. others cried with the dead.

as they ran, they didn't dare to stop.

approaching their possible demise, kazuha felt anxious in his heart. like a person destined to hang before the crown on their own execution, he felt like every step tightened the line over his throat.

as on cue, the sky really shattered. thunderstorm reawoke seeking victims, plunging into the ground as if trying to rip it down to its core. rain fell, splashing their way towards the unknown. and from all around, black crows circled around them singing their putrid songs, and watching.

watching as they climbed atop the crux at the shore.

beidou's appearance hasn't changed, but the look in her eyes did. if before she controlled the worry and seriousness, this time kazuha couldn't help noticing it all in clear. it wasn't hard to guess why; the sea before them roared cruelly as if challenging their hopes of even making it through.

this was the first obstacle, and more were to follow.

as soon as she saw him, beidou gripped kazuha hard and pulled him to her chest, successfully knocking out the air from his lungs, "kazuha."

"b-beidou— my ribs—"

"i was so worried."

"my ribs—"

"screw your ribs, i was worried about you."

kazuha groaned pitifully, trying to explain that he was fine all along, but it wasn't this that had beidou suddenly release him. as he stumbled back catching air, he followed beidou's bewildered gaze towards...

ah, yes.

"this is..." beidou blinked. "exactly who i think it is, right?"

kazuha shrugged, "what makes you think so?"

"three things. one, he glared at me when i hugged you. two, he fits your description. and three, his posters hang all over inazuma."

"..."

"and four, your expression confirmed it. well then," she sighed, "hope we make it out alive for a cup of tea so that you can properly introduce me to my son-in-law."

kazuha hated the way she winked and smirked at him like it was just the right time for him to blush furiously and begin muttering hysterical nonsense.

as the leftover troops gathered on the ship, the crew got ready for what was soon going to be the worst journey in their life. just staring at the horizon made everyone quietly mutter their prayers, even though the god they were trying to reach has been already dead long time ago. right now, the sky hollered in putrid darkness broken repeatedly with lightnings. perhaps somewhere in the world where people still had a choice, they could run to safety of their home and wait for the storm to pass. but the people of inazuma had to learn not only to withstand the constant sorrow, but also face it directly and fight.

although the distance to watatsumi island wasn't very long, the difficulties caused by the weather were going to cost them some time and energy. it was truly a race against a god; something one can't win. but something one has to try. after all, there will always be those who dare to brave the lightning's glow.

there was no time to bother looking to the side when they took their positions and the crux moved towards the open sea. kazuha ran towards the front, gathering the power of anemo in his hands to support the steer. any moment of hesitation was threatening to cost him a thunderstroke.