1.2

STRANGERS IN A BAR

Nine o'clock. That was the time that Jess had said to meet at the bar yet Edie still saw no sign of her friend at quarter-past. It was fairly busy being a Friday evening and she recognised a few familiar faces as she and Jess would often frequent the place, but not enough to know the bartender or regulars by name. It was an older style bar that had somewhen been redecorated to be more modern- it hadn't been overly successful, yet it was pleasant and always had a great atmosphere.

Tonight saw a new bunch of people: a stag party sat in one of the far corners, already louder than the music; a group was enthusiastically playing cards, perhaps their usual location was unavailable. There was also a man sitting next to Edie frantically messaging on his phone but with a bothered look upon his face.

"Vodka lime," the bartender recalled, passing the drink to Edie before taking her change. "Thank you."

The week had given no time for her to relax until now so she had no plan of leaving yet. Edie took a sip of her drink realising that he hadn't moved. Instead, he was looking around the room and then back at her.

The bartender wiped the glass in his hand. "No pretty friend tonight?" he questioned, referring to the lack of Jess who he seemed to always flirt with.

"Oh, she's probably running- Hold on,"

Edie's phone beeped: 1 New Message from Jess

I'm sorry Eeds. My dad's booked a table at a restaurant and was supposed to tell me on Wednesday. I'll make it up to you, I promise. x

"She can't make it," Edie responded as she sent back a text of reassurance to her friend.

Jess' father was a forgetful man, however, paired with his wife he seemed to make sense of the world. Jess' parents were indeed such lovely people and had been a real help when Julie was diagnosed. Whenever her aunt was in the hospital, Edie stayed with them. Jess and her parents brought the feeling of a normal family to a 13-year-old who had a family that was far from one.

The bartender had returned to serving customers as Edie watched the man beside her sigh, dropping his phone onto the bar. After brushing back his hair with his hand before leaning on it, he stared longingly at his pint.

"Rough day?" Edie asked, knowing she had no one else to talk to.

He lifted his head from his hand. "No, my girlfriend- well, was-girlfriend bailed on me again," the man said.

Having turned to now face her, Edie could admire the sight of him. He seemed athletic, yet not the sort to be overly cautious of their appearance. Perhaps due to his job or routine more than a hobby. Without attempting to stalk his features too much, Edie noted his sturdy jaw but also his blue eyes that contrasted his brown hair.

"Well, that makes two of us."

He smirked. "Your ex-girlfriend bailed at the second attempt to talk things over like civilised adults?" A surprised, yet sarcastic tone filled his voice.

"Oh no, I usually come here with my friend, but she's overbooked," slightly embarrassed, Edie laughed. "Though she does always try to set me up with a variety of people."

"That's how I met Alison."

"The avoiding-ex-girlfriend?"

"Yeah," he nodded, slowly.

Edie sipped her drink. "I've always found that things like meeting people happen for a reason," she explained, fiddling with the straw. "Science always has an answer so, surely so must life, right?"