Prologue

Emily Jones June 19th, 20--

Dear Mother,

It shall please you to know that I am in good health. My journey into the United States has gone well for the most part. A strange thing happened the other day, I found someone on the border of Canada.

He looked unwell, he was just laying in the middle of the road. On a quick glance, he appeared to be dead. He jumped when I approached him. His eyes, oh his eyes, they showed great horror and sadness. Such strong suffering. He was so thin, he seemed like he hasn't eaten for a while. I asked him who he was and this was his answer, "I am a foolish person. I have caused great suffering and sadness to my family. I wish I could take back what I did, but I cannot." He spoke with such sincerity, as if he truly believed he was the cause of his family's suffering. When I invited him to travel with me, he nodded and stood up with a groan.

I feel bad for this man, Mother. No one should have to go through suffering to this extreme. Perhaps I could learn more about him on our travels.

Your daughter,

Emily Jones

Emily Jones July 4th, 20--

Dear Mother,

This man is strange. Not strange in the normal sense of the word, strange as in intriguing. His life is a mystery. I told him about my dreams to be a biologist professor. His eyes widened and he shook visibly at this. "Foolish woman! Do not study under biology! For only disaster strikes when studying biology!" I was surprised at his outburst to be sure, all I know now is that something happened to this poor soul when he was studying biology.

I fear for this man, Mother. His life seems to be a string of troubles that he takes responsibility for. We're almost at the destination. Perhaps soon he will tell me what happened.

Your daughter,

Emily Jones

Emily Jones September 25th, 20--

Dear Mother,

My apologies for not writing last month, there was no post office. The strange man gets more interesting as the days go by. I saw an old friend yesterday and when he questioned the strange man by my side, he introduced himself. "I am Dr Thomas Moore, I am-was a biology professor, and you are?"

A surprise to be sure, to introduce himself to my friend before I. But now I know his name, Dr Thomas Moore. I can't help but wonder what happened during his time at university. Only time will tell.

Your daughter,

Emily Jones

Emily Jones October 30th, 20--

Dear Mother,

Dr Moore is looking better, not just physically but emotionally and mentally as well. We talked more about day to day life, about our families, about our own life. It was then that he told me his tale. A tale of great sadness, suffering, and horror. I see now why he was hesitant to tell me. No person would believe his tale. My heart goes out to this man and all of the ones he loved. I shall write his tale into my journal, as my time is short here.

Your Daughter,

Emily Jones