Chapter 1: The Beginning of His Tale

I was always interested in the ways of science since I was a kid.  I grew up in a kind household, consisting of my father, my mother, my brother, and I.  My father was well known among the people he worked with, he was a professor at university.  He taught history and was great friends with many of the professors, they taught me what they could while I was home.  I learned many subjects while I was still young and just starting school.  My mother was a kind soul, who acted as the typical housewife.  She was never interested in the subjects taught at schools.  All she wished to do was care for her kids.  My brother was interested in mathematics, how small numbers have potential to become astronomical.  We were a picture-perfect family.

Tragedy befell one of my father's friends.  He was killed along with most of his family in their house, burned to ash.  There was only one survivor, his beautiful daughter, Jessica Williams.  She was an aspiring poet, always had a way with words.  One could say that she was poetry herself, her dark brown eyes complimenting her black hair and contrasting her pale skin.  My mother took pity on her and decided to adopt her into our household.  She was my mother's dream, one she could claim as her daughter, one to stay at home with her to help with the chores.

Good things don't last, however.  Weeks after Jessica was accepted into the household, my father became sick.  His frail body couldn't handle it, he called me to his room upon his deathbed.  "Shut the door," he said as I entered.  "My son, I can see that you are destined to do great things.  Pursue science and accept your thirst of knowledge, follow your fate."  He went still and his eyes closed.  His peace has come.

Our household was engulfed in sadness and grief.  A good historian, taken from us forever.  How cruel of the hand of fate.  My sister was hit the hardest.  She spent hours, days even, locked in her room.  Whenever she did come out, her eyes were stained red and she never smiled.  Her poetry became dark and depressing, never were the birds chirping nor the breeze flowing in her mind.

Seeing her unhappy made me come to a revelation, maybe, just maybe, with modern science and medicine, I could one day see to it that my father was reunited with the rest of my family.

Thus, biology became my muse.  When I wasn't studying, I would spend my time in the basement or in my room researching human anatomy and genetic engineering.  Then, it was time for me to head to university.