12

Seaweed Brain? Seriously? How much more offensive can you get, smart girl?

Grover hummed a tune as we boarded a bus while Annabeth and I argued about which stop looked the least likely to have monsters. Yep, we were just discussing where to crash the night.

The grey-eyed girl was just so persistent and stubborn that she insisted we stayed in a motel. I said that we should just find whatever place that was free of monsters and not spend so much money instead. She said there was no such place. I didn't agree. We squabbled, then became quiet and ignored each other. Then Grover would say something about stopping for a restaurant, and a whole new conversation would come up, and we'd start arguing again.

I didn't realize my emotions were acting up until I blew up the oil tank.

We had to travel on foot forward. All in all, it was a pretty normal trip for half-bloods, I suppose.

"Gee, thanks, Percy," Grover muttered, before swiftly picking up a discarded tin can and chewing on it.

Annabeth glanced at me, then at Grover, then analyzing the forest around us. I can almost hear the gears in her head whirring at top speed, formulating the perfect plan for... whatever she was planning to do.

Grover chewed on two more tin cans before I stopped him. He'd get digestive problems. But I can tell it's because he's nervous.

I was nervous myself. Things (monsters) were bound to happen, and I was scared that they would recognize me. The monsters might attack my companions instead. Or worse, blow my cover and say my real name, then it's just a matter of time before the demigoddess and satyr will figure me out... I don't want to lose my two only friends.

As if sensing my thoughts, a fury appeared.

"Alecto," I snarled. Annabeth's eyes widened, probably not being used to me knowing more about the monsters than her.

"Greetings, young man. It is time to die." Alecto hissed with pleasure.

I breathed a sigh of relief. At least she didn't recognize and was just trying to kill me.

—say what?!?!

I uncapped Riptide, seeing Annabeth and Grover have already taken out their own weapons, and got into a fighting stance.

Annabeth whispered, "Plan Mercury."

Grover understood, and immediately sprung into action, tackling Alecto from behind. Annabeth swiped at her talons and wings, trying to get a scratch out of the monster. Me being the idiot I am just took my sword and swung it, disintegrating Alecto.

Annabeth gaped, and then scowled. She looked mad. "We were supposed to disarm her and pin her down to get some information out before sending her back to Tartarus! What were you thinking Percy! Did you learn nothing at camp?"

"What? One, I just improvised. And you can't blame me, this is the first time I've seen something so hideous. I freaked out, ok? Two, what in the world is Plan Mercury? No one's been teaching me any battle plans. Three, we're safe. That is enough."

Annabeth grit her teeth, her face flushed red. Her grey eyes glinted in a way that said run, and told me very calmly, "We lack information. We lack information about our quest, and we have no inkling of what to do except go to Hades's palace and be sitting ducks. Now we get a chance of getting information, so we can be more prepared! So that we can KEEP YOU ALIVE, Percy! AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO?!?!?!"

I narrowed my eyes. "Look, we can find trouble elsewhere. A whole lot more tamer monsters to interrogate. And you choose the most dangerous one?"

Annabeth stomped her foot. "The Furies were Hades's closest torturers! If there's anyone who would know his plans, it's her!"

I lifted my chin. "Fine, since you so badly want the Fury to kill you, Annabeth, next time I won't stop you. When you're about to die, don't come crying for me."

Annabeth took a step forward. "That's because we're all stuck with each other. Otherwise, I would've killed you the first chance I've got."

My gaze darkened. "Who says I don't think the same, Owl Head?"

"You made that point very clear. Since you seem to be so smart and all-knowing, quest leader boy, care to take first watch?"

I huffed and plopped down as Grover and Annabeth set up their tent.

Girls and their stupid smart brains.