chapter twelve.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 12: FLOWER PETALS FALL BUT THE FLOWER ENDURES

❝ this isn't grief and i know grief well enough to know that this is different

❝ this isn't grief and i know grief well enough to know that this is different. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA COULD SPEND TIME THEORIZING HOW IT IS THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT BAD TO EACH OTHER. But that has never been the point. The point is that in almost every instance of her life, her social life, she is, if she paid attention, in the midst of an almost constant, if subtle, caretaking. Holding doors open. Letting someone else go first. Reaching what is too high. Listening to someone vent. Giving someone advice. This is caretaking. It is her default mode and it is always a lie that convinces her to act or believe otherwise.

"Bonnie is not answering the phone," Damon stressed.

"Let me try," Enola suggested.

Damon and Enola were heading to a cozy little house in upstate New York where Bonnie and Enzo were to collect the cure. They found themselves growing anxious when they learned from Cade that Stefan was going there to kill Elena. They had been trying to get through to someone but all of their attempts had been met with silence.

"What makes you think that she will answer for you?" Damon scoffed.

"Because she likes me," Enola reminded.

"You have missed a lot since you left," Damon huffed. "For starters, she and I are best friends."

"If you were best friends, she would have answered your call." Enola pointed out.

"I don't see her answering yours either," Damon scowled.

As if on cue, the receiver clicked. No one spoke. There was heavy breathing and muffled sobs but no one spoke. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. Though there was nothing either of them could do from states away. They had yet to even leave Virginia.

"Bonnie?" Enola spoke softly. "Bonnie, what is it?"

"Is Elena okay?" Damon questioned.

"Bonnie, talk to me." Enola pleaded.

"She is okay," Bonnie choked out. "Elena is fine."

"Are you okay? Are you fine?" Enola continued. "Because those are not tears of joy." She earned nothing but silence on the other end. "Bonnie, please. You are scaring me. What happened?"

"He is gone," Bonnie whispered. "Enzo is gone."

"What?" Damon frowned, having to strain just to hear what was being said on the other end.