Chapter 2: Satellite Station

I open my eyes to find myself enveloped in darkness once more. The darkness from my dream. The shivering cold hit me almost as fast as my fear. I quickly sat up, pricking my ears for any sound outside of my own breathing. Everything looked the same as before; the checkered floor, the darkness that seemed to cover everything like a blanket, and the emptiness. However, the thing from before seemed to be gone. Well, not gone, just not present. That left me on edge, though. Nothing seemed to be around me, like I'm all alone. Would it remain that way? I'm not sure. I hope so.

I started walking about, my body once again radiating light around me. However, there wasn't much to see, just the same checkered floors that never changed. I've given up on trying to warm myself up, it was useless, so I just bit my lip and tried to tough it out. I couldn't possibly stay in this dream for long. Reminding myself it was a dream and not a reality does calm my nerves a bit. At least I know when I wake up, there will be no shadow monster to chase me and try to kill me. But. . .

No, I won't think of that now. That is something for when I wake up. For now, I focus on walking around and seeing what I can find in this seemingly empty abyss. After all, there has to be something, anything! It can't just be a barren void. It has to at least have an ending to it. If I can't wake myself up, I might as well find something to occupy my time with in this place until I do. Live in the dream for a bit. As long as I remain by myself for the entirety of it; no scary beings, no lifeless bodies; I should be okay.

However, the temptation to call out for somebody was strong. I know from the last time I had this dream that my friends won't respond, and that my voice will most likely lead the thing to me and I'd rather not have that. So, I keep my mouth shut and just walk, my eyes peering over the place, as if searching for clues. It felt endless. I'm not too sure if i can run or not this time.

I abruptly stop myself from walking when I see something in the distance. A bit of light, growing bigger and bigger. I start to panic as I remember what this meant last time. It meant the thing was close to me, that weird shadow monster was approaching, and I couldn't run away. That's bad. That's bad. That's horrible!

I start trying to move away as fast as possible, but it was inevitable that It was the same as before: I couldn't run. I couldn't call for help. I was trapped and death was approaching me ever so quickly. I'll admit it to myself, I'm more scared of waking up than anything. I'd never thought I'd think that while having a nightmare, especially one that's happened twice, but it's the truth. Nothing better waited for me once I wake up? All my friends, my family, are gone. Dead. What good waited for me out there if I didn't have someone I loved? Nothing. Not to mention those infected could be hiding anywhere, ready to slash me into ribbons. Nothing better could come out of reality, and given my dreams recently, I didn't have anywhere to escape to. My life is ruined and I'm all to blame.

I crumble to my knees, my head lowered as I peeked at the light approaching me quickly. Why fight it if I knew it was coming for me? Might as well give up and accept death. It was easier this way. It hurts less this way. Maybe then, I can finally see my family again.

The monster finally was close enough to me that I could see it well. Their fur was just as dark and empty as before, the TV and their teeth still glowed as brightly as ever, and the blood still dripped and oozed thickly from their mouth steadily. Soon, that blood will most likely be my own. I know it.

"Please," I start mumbling in a pleading tone. It must've heard me, because they stopped. The tears i never noticed were rolling down my face. "Please, just kill me. I just want to-to be with my family again.'' I say, slightly louder, now that I got its attention. They watch me intently, waiting for me to continue speaking. Did it not hear me? I wanted to be killed already! I didn't want to die, but it was the only way I could be free. There was no other way. Maybe it was shocked that someone was on their knees, begging to be killed. That's probably never happened before.