Seeing Diagon Alley

Elena had gone to bed after eating some of the cake Hagrid had bought her, but once she woke up she just silently stared at him as she laid down.

There was suddenly a loud tapping.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

"All right," Elena mumbled, "I'm getting up."
She sat up and saw Hagrid's heavy coat fall off of Harry. The hut was full of sunlight, the storm was over, Hagrid himself was asleep on the collapsed sofa and there was an owl rapping its claw on the window, a newspaper held in its beak.

Elena got up without hesitation, very happily watching Harry squirm and stand up. She watched Harry go straight to the window and open it. The owl snuck in and threw the newspaper over Hagrid, who didn't wake up. The owl then hit the ground and began to attack Hagrid's coat.

"Don't," she softly said.
Elena tried to wave the owl out of the way, but it snapped its beak fiercely at her and carried on.
"Hagrid!" said Harry loudly. "There's an owl–"
"Pay him," Hagrid grunted into the sofa.
"What?" Elena asked.
'He wants payin' fer deliverin' the paper. Look in the pockets."
Hagrid's coat seemed to be made of nothing but pockets– bunches of keys, slug pellets, balls of string, mint humbugs, tea-bags... finally, Elena pulled out a handful of strange-looking coins.
"Give him five Knuts," said Hagrid sleepily.
"Knuts?"
"The little bronze ones."

Elena counted out five little bronze coins and the owl held out its leg so she could put the money into a small leather pouch tied to it. It flew out the window again.
Hagrid yawned loudly, sat up and stretched.
"Best be off, yeh ter, lots ter do today, gotta get up ter London an' buy all yer stuff fer school."

The day was full of a lot of action, it was hard for Elena to keep up with it, and she knew she wouldn't remember it in a year. Hagrid was amazing, he taught her and Harry so much, she was amazed that an adult knew so much about this world.

Elena and Harry had never been to London before. Although Hagrid seemed to know where he was going, he was obviously not used to getting there in an ordinary way. Hagrid was so huge that he parted the crowd easily; all Elena and Harry had to do was keep close behind him. They passed book shops and music stores, hamburger bars and cinemas, but nowhere that looked as if it could sell you a magic wand. This was just an ordinary street full of ordinary people. Could there really be piles of wizard gold buried miles beneath them? Were there really shops that sold spell books and broomsticks? Might this not all be some huge joke that the Dursleys had cooked up?

"This is it," said Hagrid, coming to a halt, "the Leaky Cauldron. It's a famous place."
It was a tiny, grubby-looking pub. If Hagrid hadn't pointed it out, Elena wouldn't have noticed it was there. She exchanged a nervous, but excited smile with Harry. The people hurrying by didn't glance at it. Their eyes slid from the big book shop on one side to the record shop on the other as if they couldn't see the Leaky Cauldron at all. In fact, Elena had the most peculiar feeling that only she, Harry, and Hagrid could see it. Before she could mention this, Hagrid steered her and Harry inside.

For a famous place, it was dark and shabby. The low buzz of chatter stopped when they walked in. Everyone seemed to know Hagrid; they waved and smiled at him, and the barman reached for a glass, saying, "The usual, Hagrid?"
"Can't, Tom, I'm on Hogwarts business," said Hagrid, clapping his great hand on Harry's shoulder and making Harry's knees buckle. Elena let her eyes wander the others' faces in silence.
"Good Lord," said the barman, peering at Harry, "is this– can this be–?" The Leaky Cauldron had suddenly gone completely still and silent.

The rest of what happened in the Leaky Cauldron happened so fast Elena couldn't keep up. Everyone was overwhelmingly excited to meet Harry, which was shocking to both Elena and Harry. They had met one of their future professors, who seemed to stutter a lot, and then the two were rushed out by Hagrid before the day could become more chaotic.