Chapter 5 - Heartache and temporary recruits

Warnings: Mention of suicide (no, no character death), Kidnap.

"Holmes!" Watson hissed, crossing his arms as he gently shook the detective.
The taller man flailed, his train of thought is completely derailed in the process of his panic.

Holmes glared at the man that knelt nearest him, a few strands of hair dislodging from his previously perfectly gelled back hair.
"Whatever is the matter, Watson, that you insist on yanking me from my thoughts?" Holmes questioned, annoyance clear in his voice.
Detective inspector Lestrade moved forwards, head bowed apologetically.

"Holmes. Watson sent me a telegram about the drug den. I sent a few men to investigate it this morning," Lestrade said, but was interrupted by Holmes before he had a chance to continue.

"This morning? What time is it, Watson?" Holmes questioned, looking to his doctor.

"It's nearly 3 in the afternoon, Holmes. Surely you did not lose track of time?" Watson questioned, frowning.

"On the contrary, dear Watson, I was so immersed in my thoughts that I did not care to notice the time." The detective sighed, sinking back into his chair.

"Ah, I see. Well, no worries, love." Watson hummed, the endearment rolling easily off his tongue. So easily, really, that it caused Holmes' gaze to snap to Lestrade, who very well had the power to arrest the both of them if he so much as suspected a homosexual relationship.

The DI, however, either did not notice what Watson had said or simply care as he nodded and continued what he was saying.
"Anyhow," said he, "I sent some of my men to investigate the sewer, and they found their hidey-hole," Lestrade said with a sigh.

"What? What did you find?" Holmes questioned through clenched teeth as he sat up.

"That's precisely what's so upsetting. Nothing, Holmes. We didn't find anything but a small scrap of paper. Seems they were so paranoid about your boys that they relocated." Lestrade sighed, cringing as Holmes growled and jumped up from his chair.

"RIdiculous! Utterly ridiculous!" Holmes cried in outrage, throwing his hands above his head dramatically.
"Did you at least figure out the key for the codes?" Holmes questioned, groaning as Lestrade shook his head with a sigh.

"We will solve this case, Holmes. Calm yourself." Watson warned lightly, moving to rest a hand on the detective's shoulder, coaxing the man to allow his arms to hang limply at his sides.

"Listen to your doctor, Holmes. I will have my men look over the houses once more, however, I doubt that they will find any more evidence." Lestrade said, giving a small nod to the two men before disappearing through the door.

Holmes groaned, frowning as he turned to look at his Doctor.
"Have you found anything?" He questioned with a bite in his voice, shrugging his hand off of his shoulder as he awaited the doctor's usual sigh and mutter of 'No, I did not, Holmes.'

However, what he got was most interesting indeed.
"Yes, I did." Watson huffed, walking over to Holmes' chair. He picked it up, as well as one he had apparently purchased earlier, and handed them both to Holmes after opening them to the correct page.
He gestured to 'the imitation game' as he spoke.
"Alan Turing talks about Enigma in this book Holmes. In this book," Watson said, placing a finger upon the page of the second open book.

"He commits suicide by cyanide-covered apple," Watson said, smiling as Holmes grinned and nodded.

"The half-eaten apples on the scene... did you notice that every household had a copy of the imitation game?" Holmes questioned a look of realization dawning on the doctor.

"No, I did not, Holmes, but I had a feeling," Watson said, chuckling.

Holmes grinned as he whooped and set down the books, running over to the desk to begin decoding the messages: Enigma! Of course, enigma was the answer to the code.

1. Victim Alexandria Mattel age thirty-five killed with insulin
reason for the murder drug scandal
Next victim Jesse Robertson 

2. Victim Jesse Robertson Age twenty-five killed by fire
reason for the murder drug scandal
Next victim Amanda Lezzlie

3. Victim Amanda Lezzlie Age thirty killed by stabbings
reason for the murder drug scandal
Next victim Christopher Turing