11.

"RINA, WOULD YOU WAIT UP?"

The short girl smiled sheepishly at the redhead carrying her bag for her. He was several paces behind her, shaking his head and laughing.

"Sorry, Charlie," Carina breathed in excitement.

Finally catching up to her, he chuckled, "I know, doll."

Today's lesson was on dragons. Carina was always excited for Care of Magical Creatures, but they'd yet to cover dragons in the course. Her acceptance to Romania danced in the back of her mind, making her all the more excited to discuss the very creatures she could very well spend her life working with.

If she decides to go.

The light drizzle of rain did little to quell the happiness threatening to burst from the Hufflepuff. She and Charlie reached the edge of the forest, smiling at their professor brightly. Carina caught the wink she earned from Professor Kettleburn that meant he knew about her acceptance as well.

As the rest of their classmates gathered in the open space, Carina's palms began to sweat at the sight of the sheet covering a large box-shaped object. It couldn't be. There's no way.

She could see that Charlie was in a similar state, trying to get a glimpse under the sheet. Professor Kettleburn gave a sly smirk, yanking the sheet away to reveal a baby dragon.

Sweet mother of Merlin.

"This is a baby Ukrainian Ironbelly, apprehended by smugglers this week in Hogsmede," the Professor called over the light rain. "Until the dragonologists can retrieve him tomorrow, I will be caring for him."

The small creature was a dark charcoal color. When it curled it's little tail around itself, while appearing to take a nap, Carina felt her heart swell. If she had any doubts about if she was meant for dragonology, they died in that moment.

"Even at this size, these creatures are still very dangerous. Would anyone care to take a closer look?"

She barely registered that her feet were moving until she was a foot from the crate, peering adoringly in at the baby. The hand on her back alerted her to Charlie's presence. When she looked over at him, she saw that he was just as enamored with the Ironbelly.

"Charlie, look at her," Carina whispered. She grabbed a fistful of his robes, leaning into his side dazedly. Charlie hung his arm over her shoulder, squeezing her tightly.

Professor Kettleburn gave the pair a wide smile, "I knew you two would enjoy this."

Before either of them could respond, the sleeping dragon lazily blinked its eyes open. Tilting her head to the side, the miniature Ironbelly stared at Charlie and Carina in curiosity.

Merlin, help us all. As if her choice wasn't hard enough to make before.

"Hi, little one," Charlie cooed, bending down.

Carina sought out her sister the minute the lesson ended.

-

"You've got to tell him," Nymphadora said with fierce certainty, having listened to her twin rant for an hour about the lesson.

Carina sighed heavily, "You should've seen him, Dora. How do I tell him I might be leaving him behind for Romania after that? It's as much his dream as it is mine."

Dora ground her teeth together in frustration. She understood where her sister was coming from, but she hated the idea of Carina giving up her dream life out of fear. Charlie loves her sister more than anything in the world. He wouldn't want her to miss this opportunity either.

"Just talk to him," Dora insisted. "He'll understand, Carina."

"I need more time."

Dora gave her a scathing look, grumbling, "You can't put it off forever."

And Carina knew she was right.

There hadn't ever been a single thing Carina couldn't talk to Charlie about. He's been her best friend since she was eleven. There's no one that knows her better, besides maybe Dora herself.

Which is exactly why Carina is terrified of his reaction.

It would break her heart to hurt him, and as much as she would love to go to Romania after graduation, she didn't want to leave him behind.

"Carina, the Weasley twins are looking for you!" Someone called from the common room.

Carina welcomed the distraction, leaving the room as quickly as possible.