3. Wind Comes Up

。☆✼★ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙  ★✼☆。

A crack of thunder splits the sky every time Dragotsena falls.

The air becomes thick with near tangible magic power and everything smells of sage and ozone. A gathering storm in the making.

This time though, it is much quieter, more subtle

Shirley assesses the situation before her, brows pinched and mouth set in a harsh line. The apartment was always subject to being especially dark in the morning. Objects cast long, harsh shadows in contrast to the cold early sunlight spilling through the single rectangular window, tinged ever so slightly yellow from the translucent curtains.

That, and all of the gross black spiderwebs. Stuck firmly in corners and behind the new, yet ill gotten furniture. She hasn't gotten the chance to tidy up with all of the Florijan related excitement.

No matter how much she cleans and scrubs, they remain. Dark blemishes that marr every space the Devine family had lived in thus far.

And so, brandishing her trusted lime green feather duster which was conveniently waiting for her on the coffee table, she gets to work.

The last bell rings out, just as shrill and unpleasant as it is every day, cutting off Avram Saburov's internal monologue.

After the morose professor walks out, the door is nearly ripped off its hinges.

Amanet Devine bounds over to his desk in the middle of the room with enough gusto and energy to repel anyone who already isn't weary enough to get out of their way.

Like clockwork, the cane-wielding agent of Devine providence easily tugs Avram out of his seat by the hand with little effort, seeing as he was already making to stand up. Amanet pulls Avram out the door, not noticing or not caring about the pointed looks aimed in their direction.

Avram has already packed his things before class ended in preparation, but holds his purple thermos in his other hand. His dad made Avi his favourite smoothie (strawberry, orange and basil) and he is determined not to lose it again.

The frenzied sprint through the school happens in relative silence, Amanet waving and greeting someone whenever their name is called and Avram quietly allowing himself to be led.

When they're both safely out of the building, Amanet stops and sits down on the steps, breathing deep for a few moments before looking at Avram and saying:

"That had to be faster than yesterday! What's our time?"

Avram looks at his wristwatch, carefully sitting next to Amanet. "A few seconds slower, actually."

Amanet buries their face in their hands, knocking their sunglasses askew and groaning theatrically. "We'll never beat the time I fell out of the window at this rate!"

Avi leans over to tie the laces of one of Amanet's beat up sneakers. He pats their knee afterwards.

"I still think that shouldn't be counted."

Amanet crosses their arms, pouting, "Well, I don't think-!"

"See, there's your problem."

Avram slaps a hand over his mouth, struggling to keep in his laughter at Amanet's theatrically befuddled expression. They shove his shoulder.

"So rude! I graciously keep you around to bask in my presence and you just insult me!"

Avram leans his head on their shoulder, Amanet laces their fingers together. A flush creeps onto Avram's face, turning his ears red. He clears his throat and lets Amanet settle, uncaring of the fact that other people are around.