Chapter 2

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a clan meeting!"
Coralfur stepped into the camp to hear Conchstar announce the kit's apprentice ceremony. He ran down to the stump which was where Conchstar announces the clan with news or performs ceremonies. The stump was surrounded by a small moat, the size of a small puddle. The clan preferred to call it, the Leader Stump.
The camp was a clearing in the forest surrounded by a thorn barrier. There was enough room to allow the river in the forest to travel through the camp. The clan usually used it to catch fish in leafbare. The leader's den was a sheltered spot under a pine tree. The nursery was also under a tree, but it was surrounded my a large thorn barrier so queens and their kits stayed safe. The warriors and apprentice dens were large bushes with enough room for nests and cats.
As the cats of OceanClan gathered around Conch star, Wavekit hissed, "Come on, I'm fine Mom! Stop grooming me!"
Fishkit rolled her eyes. "This is what I deal with every day."
Seagullfeather laughed, "You two are going to have to get used to working together if your going to help this clan."
Both kits stared at each other, "No!" They cried.
Conchstar chuckled, then started the ceremony. "Wavekit and Fishkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it's time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior names, you will be known as Wavepaw and Fishpaw. Wavepaw, your mentor will be Clamfoot, I hope she w-"
"I need to confess." Wavepaw interrupted.
Sealheart's eyes widened, "Wavepaw, what are you doing? You shouldn't interrupt your leader!"
Wavepaw frowned.
Conchstar looked at Wavepaw, "Tell us what's wrong Wavepaw."
Wavepaw sighed, "I don't want to be a warrior apprentice."
The whole clan gasped.
"What do you mean?" Dolphinfur asked.
"I want to be a medicine cat apprentice." Wavepaw said with excitement. "I've seen Dolphinfur work with herbs before, and I think it's fascinating."
Seagullfeather was speechless, "But- but don't you want to train with your sister? Don't you want a mate when you grow up like me and your mother?"
Wavepaw shook his head. "No, fighting and hunting, just, it's just not for me."
Conchstar looked at Dolphinfur, "What do you think?"
Dolphinfur shrugged, "I guess it would be helpful to have some extra paws. But it's really Wavepaw's choice."
Fishpaw started to cry, "But Wavepaw, don't you want to train with me? I thought we were going to catch a big rabbit together once we could hunt!"
Wavepaw looked at his sister, "Sorry Fishpaw, but I really want to work with herbs and help injured cats."
"Wavepaw," Conchstar began, "Are you sure about your decision?"
Wavepaw looked from Fishpaw to Dolphinfur, "Yes," he said, "I'm sure."
Conchstar nodded, "Okay then, Wavepaw your mentor will be Dolphinfur. And Fishpaw, your mentor will be Coralfur. I hope your mentors will share with you two all of their knowledge, and train you to become a great warrior and a great medicine cat. The ceremony is over!"
As the clan cheered the apprentices' names, Coralfur looked for Fishpaw. He'd never been a mentor before, this was going to be fun.
Coralfur spotted Fishpaw glare at him and run into the apprentice den. Before he could follow her, Conchstar came to stand next to him.
"Don't take it to personal Coralfur." he said, "She wasn't expecting this. None of us were."
Coralfur nodded. Fishpaw was so upset. He had to do something to make her feel better. Even if it took moons, he was going to find a way.