Firefly in a Jar

Screeching to a halt at the Tauveriin station, Yamaguchi anxiously ran through his mental checklist. Did he find somewhere safe to store the box? Yes, he had entrusted it to Bokuto, who was keeping it in the train's safe. Did he and Kageyama have some sort of protection? Yes, Kageyama and Yamaguchi both had their knives on them, and Yamaguchi even had a staff disguised as a walking stick. Did they have disguises? Also, yes, since looking like a bunch of rich people in a shantytown was an awful idea, Kuroo had provided the two of them with grease-stained commoner clothing as to not draw attention. Everything was set, everything was safe, they had a plan. A plan Hinata seemed dead set on ruining.

Before Yamaguchi and Kageyama could even step off the train, Hinata was there, glaring and blocking the exit. "You shouldn't be headed out there; it's dangerous."

Yamaguchi sighed and stomped on Kageyama's toe to prevent him from instantly jumping into an argument, "We know, Hinata, but it's an emergency. There's things in Tauveriin we really need to do."

Hinata huffed and stamped his feet like an offended rabbit, "Oh yeah? Like your totally real, not at all bogus, spy stuff?"

"Sightseeing, actually." Retorted Kageyama, looking rather smug with himself.

"Yep, sightseeing. The Foxfire Gardens are supposed to be in full bloom this time of year, we'd like to see them before completing our mission and returning to post in 16-B." Yamaguchi was suddenly grateful for his research; even if the flowers weren't set to be in full bloom, he at least didn't have to make up a place to see.

"That's stupid! Don't you know slavers run wild and unchecked in that city? You're going to get yourselves snatched right up!" Why Hinata even cared if they got grabbed by slavers, Yamaguchi didn't know, but the information was new.

"Slavers are nothing, Tadashi and I have fought off thousands of them, we're going to see those gardens." And before Hinata could retort about safety, Kageyama grabbed Yamaguchi and pulled him out into Tauveriin.

Wandering around, Yamaguchi saw many a beautifully organized stall. Candy shops, bakeries, bookstores, the works. Everything a person could possibly want had a stall dedicated just to that item. It was in the marketplace that Yamaguchi saw a clockwork shop. If anywhere would have the delicate tools to work with a fine-tuned trap box, it was that clock store. They needed to go there. If Yamaguchi and Kageyama ever wanted to see what was important enough for an espionage attempt, they would need to get Yamaguchi those tools. So, taking a slight detour, they agreed to head inside. There, in the building, was the largest collection of beautiful mechanics Yamauchi had ever seen. Finely crafted cuckoo clocks, pocket watches, even more than a few artifacts, although none that Yamaguchi recognized. It was exactly the type of place Yamaguchi imagined he'd like to run someday. Walking up to the front desk, he set upon haggling a price for the tools. Getting a decent price took longer than Yamaguchi had hoped, the shopkeep drove a hard bargain. Even after bringing the price down a few gold, it still cost a pretty penny to purchase. Holding the toolset in his hands, however, made Yamaguchi realize just how worth it they were. Everything was needle-thin and made of the finest materials; if these couldn't work with the box lock, nothing could.

Content with his new toolery and more than a few coins lighter, Yamaguchi led Kageyama to where rumors of Miya were most common. The farther into the city they went, the dirtier it became. Polished cobblestone and colorful brick made way for materials so covered in grime that they were nigh unrecognizable. Garbage and suspicious needles littered the alleyways, and any empty patch was taken up by beggars and criminals. Already it was noon, and despite being fall, the sun beat down upon them in a sweltering burn, accentuated by the thick smoggy air. People from the alleyways eyed both boys, likely only keeping their distance due to Kageyama's sour face. Even in their engine grease-stained apparel, Yamaguchi and Kageyama looked more well off than the people wandering the streets. Being robbed was not on Yamaguchi's to-do list, and he clutched the handle of his knife tightly in the pocket of his trench coat. Every sound made him jump, every moving shadow brought a new wave of unease, back alleys, and shady buildings were not within the area of Yamaguchi's expertise. They were getting closer to the abandoned warehouse that Miya was said to frequent, but it brought him no comfort.