Sneek-Peak at a Prophecised Death

"The next point in the list is, 'Three Old Ladies Knit the Socks of Death.'" Everyone raised their eyebrows. He continued, "So, the remaining part of the year was spent with me feeling like I had gone crazy and me trying to get information about Mrs. Dodds from other students. Apparently, Mrs. Kerr, a perky blond woman whom I'd never seen in my life until she got on our bus at the end of the field trip-had been our pre-algebra teacher since Christmas."

"Wait, did the Mist create an entire new person?" Beckendorf asked Chiron in awe. Chiron chuckled and replied, "No, I have a daughter of Athena on standby." "Oh."

"After sometime, I almost believed that Mrs. Dodds did not exist, but Grover is a hopeless liar." The satyrs blushed. "I started getting nightmares. The freak weather continued which didn't help my mood, my grades slipped and I got sent out in almost every class." Athena was seething right now.

"When I called my English teacher an old sot, a letter was sent home, stating that I would not be welcome to Yancy next year. I was homesick anyway. I wanted to be with my mom in our little apartment on the Upper East Side, even if I had to do summer jobs, go to public school and put up with my obnoxious stepfather and his stupid poker parties, who is not Paul but a person I do not want to talk about right now. But there were things I would miss, like Grover, Chiron's classes, the view from my dorm window, etc."

"I studied only for Latin. The evening before the final, I got frustrated and chucked my book across the room, the dyslexia was acting up big time. After pacing the room, feeling like ants were crawling around inside my shirt." He squirmed a bit here. Why am I feeling like that again? He waved off Annabeth's concerned look and continued, "I remembered Mr. Brunner's serious expression, his thousand-year-old eyes. 'I will accept only the best from you, Percy Jackson.' I took a deep breath, picked up the mythology book and decided to ask Chiron for help, wanting to make him think I had tried. Also, I wanted to apologize to him about the big fat F I was sure to obtain."

"Three steps away from the handle, I heard Chiron talking with Grover about me. Curiosity got the better of me and I eavesdropped. They were talking about me in trouble, a Kindly One in school, the summer solstice deadline and keeping me alive until next fall. Chiron seemed in denial that the Mist would be able to convince me, but Grover wanted him to tell me about the truth. Unfortunately, I dropped the book, the voices stopped and I picked the book up and hid in a room. A few seconds later I heard a slow clop-clop-clop, like muffled wood blocks, then a sound like an animal snuffling right outside my door. A large, dark shape paused in front of the glass, holding what looked like an archer's bow, then moved on. Somewhere in the hallway, he told Grover that maybe he was mistaken because his nerves hadn't been right since the winter solstice. Grover protested but Chiron silenced him and told him to go study for the next day's exam."

When Percy paused to drink water, Athena asked, "Why were you in full form?" Grover replied, "he wanted to be ready in case there was a monster attack. Also, his legs were cramped." Chiron blushed at the last sentence and Apollo and Hermes snickered.

Percy continued, "when I reached back to my room, Grover was lying there and studying as if he hadn't moved," he glared at Grover's smug expression, "we made some small talk and went to bed, confused and thinking that I was in danger."

"When are you not?" Annabeth asked rhetorically.

"Next afternoon, after my exam, Chiron pulled me aside, gave me a horrible pep-talk that made me feel that I was destined to get kicked out. I know now that he meant that I was special in a good way, but at that time it stung as the words were coming out of my favourite teacher's mouth."
"At the end of the term, the only person I dreaded saying goodbye to was Grover, but it turned out that he is a stalker with hooves as he had booked a ticket on the same bus as mine. He was nervous and looked around as if he expected something bad to happen."