This Is Only the Beginning

"Life is about to change. Sometimes it's painful. Sometimes it's beautiful. But most of the time is both. So don't let the past define you. Get out of your comfort zone and start enjoying the things life brings your way."

***

"Line up!" was echoing through the station.

First day as captain. Her dream came true. She finally earned her spot.

"Captain Andrea Herrera." She repeated to herself for the millionth time. As it will disappear if she doesn't repeat it. She needed to pinch herself a couple of times just so she would remind herself this is happening.

Andy took a deep breath and entered the station. The station she was working for almost 8 years. Being captain at 19 is a big deal. A young woman, a Latina who made her dreams come true is a big deal. She was inspiration for younger generations. To chase their dreams and never give up. Her dad resigned a few month due to his illness and that was an opportunity that she wouldn't or couldn't miss.

Andy decided there is no time to mess around. No time to play. She needed to act mature. Take this seriously and it worked. Fire chief made her captain.

Today felt different. Bittersweet too. She was their boss now. She would lie if the thought of loosing her friends over a title wasn't on her mind.
Andy was a overthinker. And she definitely didn't want to lose her friends, her family just because she is captain now. Deep down she knew that won't happen but still she really hoped the atmosphere in the station won't change.

Stranding in front of now her office, her hand shakes a little bit as she was opening the door.
After placing her duffel bag in her bunk she sat at her desk and spins in her chair a few times.

"The feeling is good, isn't it?" Pruitt said standing at the door frame.

"Sure it is!" Andy said getting up.

Pruitt took out a box and opened. He brought his bugles to give it to her.

"Is that yours?"

"Now they are yours." He said putting them on her collar.

Her eyes got teary as she touched her bugles. They shared a hug and went to the barn where the chief Ripley waited for them to join the rest of the team.

"Happy first day as captain, Herrera!" Ripley said as they shake hands.

Even he was a chief, he was their friend. He even hang out a few times with them when he was acting captain before Andy became one.

"I'm glad everyone is here so I can make it official. We all know who is the next captain of Station 19 so I wanted to go a step further to make this station even better than it already is. So I make the decision to station a battalion chief here. He is coming in a few days but I wanted all of you to know in advance."

"Who could it be?" Travis whispered to Vic.

Vic just shrugged not knowing anything.

"C'mon you are dating the chief you probably know." Travis hits her playfully in the arm.

"Montgomery, dare to share?" Ripley asked.

Vic just gave him a look.

"Actually yes. Do we know who will be our battalion chief?"

"I'll introduce him when he comes. He left Seattle a long time ago so I doubt it. He used to teach at the academy when he was a lieutenant.
I gotta go so see you all in a few days!" Ripley said and went out.