WINNER - Escape The Wilderness

Jungle By
MissyMcLean

I clutched the package tighter to my chest as I glanced up and down the river I had reached; the orb inside had transported me here and it was the only thing I had besides the clothes I had on from a boring day of school.

When I first woke up on the jungle floor, I heard the orb mid-sentence.

“--in twenty-four hours they will be dead if you do not reach them. Within your package, you have been given a map of the jungle, a compass and the key to the prison in which your parents are being kept.”

“My parents?”

“Be swift. The clock is ticking.” The glow of the orb dimmed to nothing and I was left to figure everything out on my own.

I glanced down at my t-shirt, jeans and flats and began to contemplate my chances of making it across the river. Even if I wasn’t completely exhausted, the chances of my making it to the other side were low. Very low.

I walked along the side of the river for a while, debating what I should do when I noticed a tree had fallen across the water, forming the perfect makeshift bridge.

“One foot in front of the other,” I said as I took small tentative steps across the river.

SNAP!

I almost dropped my package as I crashed down to my knees and tried to steady myself. My one flat slipped off my foot and began to cruise down the river. A caiman came over beside me and eyed me hungrily. Followed by another and another.

One foot in front of the other, I reminded myself as I stood up and placed my shoed foot down on the log and everything slowed down as it slipped out from under me and I landed down on my palm and knees again. Splinters lodged into my hand and I felt burning scrapes etch themselves into my flesh.

SNAP! SNAP!

I scrambled back up onto my bridge as I watched my other shoe travel away from me. Standing up, I let my toes sink down and squeeze into the grooves of the bark and I began to move again. I didn’t stop going until I was far enough away from the river that I knew I was safe from the caimans. 

I looked up the side of the mountain from the base. I had to somehow scale it in under three hours barefoot. Every muscle in my body pained me from the exertion as I began to make my way up, having to free climb in some areas. The jagged rocks and rough terrain of the mountain dug into the flesh of my feet and hands and I could feel blood mixing with sweat. I had ripped a hole in either side of the package and worked my arm through it so it hung off my forearm.

I hoisted myself up and over one more ledge. I lay on my back staring up at the clear blue sky, feeling little pebbles digging into my back, hoping it wasn’t much further. Sitting up, I took a quick look at my surroundings.

“NO WAY!” I screeched as my eyes locked on a green door embedded into the side of the mountain on the shelf I was on. Assuming it to be locked, I dumped my little ugly handbag out in front of me and snatched the key up off the ground and jammed it into the keyhole. I felt the tumblers shift as I turned it. I laughed while tears slid down my cheeks, cutting through the dust and grime that had caked on throughout my journey.

I held my breath as I turned the doorknob and the door swung inward. Before I could see what lay before me, a bright, white flash of light blinded me before everything faded to black.

My head felt heavy like my brain was made of cement, and I let my eyes slowly flutter open.

“Oh, thank God! Henry! She’s okay!” I looked up and saw my mother’s face hovering just above mine.

“Mom? Mom!” I tried to sit up but my mother’s hands gently pushed down on my shoulders, keeping me in place on the floor.

“Honey, please don’t freak out, but we think you might’ve had a seizure. Your father just called an ambulance, but I want you to know you’re going to be okay. Alright? We’re right here with you.”

“No, mom. I didn’t have a seizure. There was this package and--” I started looking around me, turning my head to both sides and running my hands over the floor, trying to find my parcel. “It was here, and it took me to a jungle and--”

“Shh… Sh-sh-sh… Honey, honey, you need to calm down, okay? Help is coming.” She stroked my cheek like she used to do when I was a little girl. “How on Earth did you end up so filthy? Did something happen? Did someone do this to you?”

“No! I mean, yes, something happened but no, no one did this to me.” I couldn’t believe what was happening. It all couldn’t have been a dream. “You and dad you were in danger. I had just unlocked the door. The light--”

I replayed everything I had been through. The orb and the map and the key and… The compass! My hand dove into my pocket and pulled out the little round device that had come in the package. I held it up to show her, but then looked up at her face. Her eyes were closed as she sang quietly, serenely, going about her motherly duties of taking care of me. I swallowed my pride in proving what I had done and lowered the compass back down to my side, jamming it down into the bottom of my pocket. A smile played across my lips as I closed my eyes and let her lullabies put me to my long deserved sleep.