WINNER #2 - Immortals' Conquest

Hello, fellow disciples! We would like to present the first chapter of the story that won Favorite Couple and Runner-Up in our Lunar New Year contest, the Immortals' Conquest 2023.

If you enjoyed reading this first chapter, you can continue Fateless by Robyn-Wolf here. This story was inspired Prompt #6: The Scout.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Fateless
By- Robyn-Wolf

Chapter 1- Preparation

A frustrated sigh escaped Asuna's lips as she dragged her unenthusiastic daughter down the hallway and then through the bamboo sliding doors. Hana made a defiant effort to dig her heels in, but it resulted in very little resistance against the smooth wooden flooring along with her mother's persistent grip on her arm.

Feeling despondent, Hana made an indecent groan which resulted in Asuna scolding her with sharp hisses in her tone. Her anger was further confirmed as Asuna rattled and slammed the door shut aggressively behind her.

Having heard the loud commotion, the other young ladies and their caretakers briefly looked up from applying their last-minute touch-ups. Asuna's demeanour instantly shifted, a wide smile crept across her lips and she bowed politely, addressing the many eyes that had fallen upon her.

The matchmaking candidates sharing the room were all dressed to impress. Each of them was lathered in heavy makeup, had hair exquisitely styled with accessories, and wore layers of elegant fabric. Most of them presented themselves in traditional, but very detailed kimonos. But two of the participating ladies donned formal ballgown-style dresses that were equally as intricate.

The room was filled with light-hearted chatter. But the atmosphere was a strange mix of emotions. Some people appeared to be excited, others anxious, and -like Hana- there were some with glum expressions.

Asuna shoved her daughter onto a vacant cushion, ignoring the unhappy scowl on her face. Hana sourly rubbed at her arm, which was feeling relief from her mother's vice-like hold having been removed. She resisted the tempting urge to literally run away from this terrible idea she'd been forced into.

Asuna began to inspect the fabric of Hana's red and white, florally printed kimono- an old garment that had once belonged to her grandmother. Once satisfied, she then moved on to Hana's hair to adjust the hairpin that was holding back her short-layered bob.

A young girl seated in front of Hana peered over her poised shoulder to offer her a quick sympathetic smile. Her own assistant was also focused on her hair, gently brushing through the very long strands that were bejewelled with cherry blossom-shaped hair clips.

Hana tried to dissociate herself from her mother's fussing and the discrete gazes of the other attendees. She turned her attention to the view of the yard which was visible from the large rooms' open opposing sliding doors.

Between light coatings of fallen white snow, revealed a beautifully maintained garden. Although now dormant for winter, the shrubbery was trained back into perfect shapes. Detailed pebble pathways intertwined around garden beds that were currently concealing much of their potential beauty due to frost. Located at the edge of a more isolated part of the Nikko mountains, The Hirano property was sure to look even more impressive when nature bloomed within the warmer months.

Within the garden, a bright red bridge transitioned into a small pergola that sat atop a partially frozen pond; It acted as a functional centrepiece of the outdoor area. This pergola did not just provide a view of the villa grounds' yard however, but also a shrine which was situated uphill a small distance away and accessible by a stone staircase.