Part Four

The door slowly opened and as whip of green dress appeared.

Thranduil gasped and spread his arms around Legolas, as if to protect him.

"Don't touch him" Thranduil coughed, shielding his sun from the horrors of the world.

Belegorneth stepped forward, "Why would I want to hurt him. Why would i.... Why would I harm my own child?"

"Exactly what I have been wondering. Why? Why did you do it to him?"

"Do what?" Belegorneth stopped pacing forward and tried to look composed, but Thranduil could see her  eyes shimmering.

"You left... him. Left him, abandoned him. Without an apology, an explanation."

"I... I Didn't, didn't mean... It was, it was for his safety."

"His safety" Thranduil scoffed, with as much dignity as anyone could muster when they're emitting a sound which is closely related to s pig's.

"Yes, of course"

Silence

"You thought it would be safer if you abandoned your son at the age of seven and leave him alone for the rest of his life, thinking his mother to be dead."

"Dead?... I, what did you tell him?"

"What was I supposed to tell him" Thranduil said in a whisper eaten by anger

"The Truth?" Belegorneth suggested.

"The Truth?" Thranduil scoffed, but much more elegantly this time, "You have know idea what would have happened to him if I had told him the truth... Do you actually care for him at all?"

Silence

A sob broke the silence. Thranduil dashed towards his son, afraid his shouts had awoken Legolas from his dreams, but the crying was not coming from his mouth. But from Belegorneth. Thranduil stepped towards her, his long green cloak swimming around him like a waterfall of grass, entwining with Belegorneth cerise gown, a field of roses, snaking towards their son.

"Don't cry" Thranduil put his arm around his once-was-wife and held her close.

"It's... it's just... I miss him so much" she sobbed into his shirt, "I never wanted to leave him. I know I can't repay what I did, but I just want to see my son grow up"

"I know, I know"

Belegorneth looked up in Thranduil's cold blue eyes. How she so missed the love that would never again be engraved onto that face. She closed her eyes and snaked her arm around Thranduil's head, pulling it down towards her own. It was so good, this feeling of complete comfort she used to have, the sense of belonging. She pulled his head closer and placed her lips on his. It was bliss, like the two sides of a locket, separated for so many years, being brought together once more. Belegorneth sighed and kissed more passionately and desperately than she had, she ever would, in her life.

The clock boomed into the silence, and Belegorneth jumped away, her face full with fright.

"G-goodbye" She sobbed turning and running from the room, pulling herself free of Thranduil's grasp.

Silence engulfed the room

Thanks for reading xx

Please vote and comment xx