"Amanda, could you listen to me?"

I sigh. I'm trying to enjoy my breakfast in peace, and yet my dad keeps rambling on about how I turned of age and have to find a boy of the same species to get married to. I think it's strange to think that kids in my class are getting married now. I just turned 13.

"Sure dad." I mumble. I really don't want to have this conversation.

"As I was saying," He goes on, "You should find another werewolf. Maybe a boy in your class? I heard from Shira's mom that a boy named Dylan Kyle is really cute."

I gag at the thought. Dylan Kyle is the school jock. And of course, he's a werewolf. I'm a werewolf too. I live in the small country of Cagulin, where there are magical creatures, such as werewolves, elves, mermaids, wizards, witches, and vampires.

"Shira will drool over older boys, no matter what species." I say with my mouth full.

Shira is my best friend. She's a grade younger than me, although we're technically the same age. I just have an early birthday, and she has a late one.

I finish my breakfast, ignore my dad, pack up my bag and leave for Shira's house.

It's foggy today, not surprising. Cagulin hasn't had a sunny day is twenty years. My parents always tell me about the times when the sun would shine, and the sunshine wasn't stolen by Halityre, the country outside of Cagulin. 

I knock on the door, and a bouncy and exited Shira answers.

"Andi!!" She shouts, hugging me in excitement. "Hey Shir. someone's in a good mood today!" I respond. 

Shira nods. "Guess what?" She almost whispers. "What?" I ask. Shira puts her hands together and starts jumping up and down. "Tyler John asked me out!!" She squeals.

I roll my eyes, smiling. I love Shira, even though she can be a bit much at times. She's an elf, you can tell from a mile away. It's because of her short figure, her bouncing-off-the-walls energy, and of course her pointy ears. 

Shira looks at me, with a fake disappointed expression.

"Come on Andi, I was expecting at least a little reaction." She teases.

I start jumping up and down, flailing my arms around.

"Omigod Shira! I'm so excited that the most boring guy in history asked you out!" I exclaim.

Shira rolls her eyes. "You know what I mean. And Tyler is not boring!" She says as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Suuure." I say sarcastically, as we leave the house.

"Race you!" Shira yells. She starts rolling down the hill, towards the school. Elves are good at rolling, that's why an elf is never late.

I change into my wolf, and start running. I pass Shira in no time. "Hey!" She yells, "That's cheating!!" 

I smirk and connect our minds. "I could say that rolling is cheating, we could have to run." I tell her. Shira rolls her eyes. "Whatever. Let's walk the rest of the way." She tells me.

I change back to my human, and we walk and talk the rest of the way. As we walk down the hill, I can't help but think about the borders of Cagulin, I do this to myself a lot. I always think about Halityre. What could be there? What does it look like there? Do they have to hunt for food?

Shira is still talking about her time with Tyler John. "Andi? Andi!" Shira pokes my arm. "Ow! What?" I shout. Shira raises her eyebrows. "You're zoning out again." I shrug my shoulders. Shira frowns. "Come on Andi! Whenever you zone out, there's something on your mind." 

I sigh. "Come on Andi, I'm your friend." Shira pleads.

"It's nothing." I mumble. Shira crosses her arms, and I roll my eyes.

"Fine!" I shout. I scratch my head with little hair on it. I shaved my head about a year ago, and it grew back a bit, but my hair is just thin, short, red hair on my rosy head. I shaved my head to try to change the stereotypes that all women in the country have to have long hair.

I take a deep shaky breath, and look at Shira. "I just think about Cagulin's borders sometimes. Like, what's in Halityre that's so special, that they had to steal everything from us? Why do the humans live in peace, when we have to suffer purely for their pleasure?" I ramble.

Shira thinks for a second, before her face lights up, like the most brilliant thing just came to her.

"Andi," She whispers, "Why don't we find out?"