At first, I laugh. She can't be serious! Find out? By meaning, escaping Cagulin? No one has done that since the borders went up! But Shira's expression remains the same. "I'm being serious Andi." She says. 

"What?" I ask, "Shira, the borders! No one has escaped in 20 years!" I shout. Shira smiles. "That doesn't stop us. Aren't you curious? Are the borders even existent? Can we actually get through?"

She has a point. I think about that every day. After thinking for a good minute, I eye Shira, and we exchange a look. Shira smirks. "I'll take that as a yes." 

And before I can say anything, Shira is dragging me by my arm. 

"Ugh. Shira, how do you even know the route?" I ask. "The legends say," Shira says, not loosing focus, "If you need to find something, ask for help from your elf. She'll lead me there." 

I think about what Shira just said. I haven't heard of asking my wolf for directions, it must just be an elf thing. 

Before I can think anymore, we stop. I look up, and it's true. There are very much borders there. I look at Shira again, and I start to have second thoughts. 

"Shira..." I stutter. "Mhm?" She says, trying to figure out a plan. "What if we can't get through? What if we die on the way?" 

Shira shrugs. "We'll never know unless we try." 

Shira's words send a shiver down my spine. I'm only 13! I'm not ready to die! 

She notices, and grabs my hand. "We can do this together Andi. We'll go at the same time."

I shakily nod. I grab Shira's hand, and squeeze tightly. I'm not doing this alone. Shira counts down. 

"3..." 

Maybe this is a bad idea.

"2..."

But I'm still doing this.

"1..."

I'm ready for anything!

"Go!"

Right?

Before I can think again, Shira and I are sprinting toward the borders. 

For a split second, I felt cold, as if someone just dumped ice water on my head.

But then, the feeling stops, and I suddenly feel confident. Like I have just done something magnificent.

Then I realize, I'm not in Cagulin anymore, I'm in Halityre!

I look to my side, and Shira isn't there.

I look around, calling her name, when I hear her voice. "Andi!" 

I look behind me, and Shira is at the borders, unable to get through.

"Shira?! Why can't you get through?!" I shout.

"I don't know!" She yells back. "How did you get through?!" 

I try to grab her hand and pull her through, but my hand can't get through the borders.

I try sprinting, but the same thing that happened to Shira, happened to me. I'm stuck in Halityre. The full force of it all hits me. Shira shouts through the borders. "Just go on without me!"

I try to say something else, but Shira shouts at me again. "Just go!"

I nod, and run. I run until I can't run anymore. I collapse onto the ground. 

Once I catch my breath, I cry until I'm out of tears. I honestly don't know why I'm crying, a lot just happened in five minutes. 

The morning started off with Shira and I walking to school, and now I'm stuck in Halityre, laying on the ground, without a home, or clue.

I lay down and look at the sky, It's very bright. I suddenly feel very cold, and my teeth start to chatter.

I realize I'm non-purposefully turning ino my wolf from the cold. I try to change my claws to fingers before I fall asleep. 

"Are you okay?" 

I hear a voice that jolts me back to my senses. A girl that looks about my age, is standing over me, holding a tiny glowing square shaped thing.

"You've been here awhile. Are you not cold? That doesn't look warm, especially in the middle of November." She says, tucking her hair behind her ear. It was a thick bob cut that went down to her chin, with bangs just above her eyes. It was a beautiful strawberry blonde, that was a contrast from her light brown skin tone.

"My name is Maia by the way." She holds out her hand. "Need shelter? I have an open space." 

I nod. "My name's Andi." 

"Andi..." She mutters. "Nice name."

"Thanks." 

I have so much adrenaline right now, I don't even know what's going on. 

"I like your hair." I somehow manage to say. Maia smiles. "Thanks. Did it myself." 

"Yourself?" I question. "How'd you do that? I mean, it looks so professional." 

Maia shrugs. "I like your hair too." She points to my head. "Thanks." I smile, shivering in the cold. "I shaved it about a year ago."

Maia takes off her jacket and hands it to me. "Here. You must be freezing." 

I shakily take the warm coat. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." 

Maia leads me down the trail, and I keep wondering where we're actually going. It's fine though. I trust Maia. I just hope I won't regret that later.